PDA

View Full Version : should i remove it?

hitsek2004
07/15/2006, 06:48 AM
i mean the canister filter....
Here is the issue,
5 years ago i started my tank for fish only and i put 3 xternal canister filters, 2 for biological filtration, 1 for chemical(i use it running carbon periodically and phosquard). the last 3 years i switched to reef adding live rock constantly. The total rock now is about 60 kgs. (i dont know pounds or libres) for 75 gal. tank. I also have about 10cm. live sand.
Last december i rearrange the tank and i removed one of the two biological canisters. my nitrates are not high but i think its time to unplug amd the 2nd. canister. Will be safe to do it now instandly?
My concern is the big bioload. I have a lot of fishes many years now very healthy(1 hippo, 1 yellow tank, 1 ferungatus pugmy angel, 1 navarhus!!!!, 1 pair of perculas, 3 green chromis and 1 banggai..).i know a lot but the youngest fish is 2 years with me. I feed every day a variety of foods.
Should i remove a little materia (seporax) every week from the canister? My skimmer is a hang on berlin of red sea brand.(i am not happy with this but i put it due to lack of sump).
Your opinions please
FRIENDY - GEORGE

hitsek2004
07/15/2006, 07:59 AM
Anyone??:( :(

maxima k2
07/15/2006, 08:38 AM
What are your plans for the tank? Do you want to start keeping coral in the tank or are you going to keep it FOWLR? If you want to keep corals then I would start with checking the water quality. If you are testing and it shows that you have lots of Nitrate then you may need to change your setup. If the water is fine then go for it, no need to fix what isn't broken. But my guess is that you will need to upgrade the system.

Sk8r
07/15/2006, 08:42 AM
WHen removing the last biological filtration cannister, I would suggest reducing the amount of media in it gradually, perhaps taking up space with, say, a women's kneehigh nylon stocking filled with live rock rubble [to keep grit out of the pump] or other neutral material, as you reduce the number of filter pads, then when down to the last, remove the cannister from the system.

hitsek2004
07/15/2006, 11:13 AM
my tank is already mixed reef 3 years now with succes in most of the corals,thats why i wonder if i can remove the canister now..
TIA