PDA

View Full Version : Growth on the Glass

old salty
07/15/2006, 08:47 AM
Dr. Farley,

A few of us were having a discussion in another thread regarding the growth on the glass (which is removed with a mag cleaner) and was hoping you may be able to shed some light on the subject.

Steven Pro wrote an article about his experiences with different salts, and when he reached Tropic Marin, he stated that the growth on the glass increased. Myself and a few others have noticed this as well. I can pretty much say that it most likely isn't any kind of precipitate, though if I knew for sure, I wouldn't be asking you.

Is the growth on the glass that we clean off weekly strictly plant matter, or can it also be some form of precipitate that just comes with the use of this particuar salt? My water levels all measure within typical reef specs (440ish Ca and 10ish Alk). I'm sure it could also just be a temporary situation that comes with changing salt brands, but maybe it's also something that we are not aware of.

Thanks!!

HowardW
07/15/2006, 10:29 AM
My guess would be that certain salt mixes like TM may contain higher levels of some trace elements like iron or something else that could accelerate algae growth......just a wild guess.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/15/2006, 07:27 PM
In my tank the growth is strictly green algae and diatoms,depending on how much silicate I add. I expect that is true for nearly all reef aquaria. I agree that the TM may lift what is otherwise a limiting growth factor. IMO, that is probably good, as the same factors may limit other organisms, like corals.