PDA

View Full Version : Clean-up crew questions

Debbie64
07/15/2006, 10:32 AM
How often do you replenish your tank janitorial service? Due to predation, "misadventures" and the general lifespan of snails, hermits, etc., is about a year a reasonable time?

And regarding acclimation - I should say that I got my first cleanup crew April last year. Of course they each came in a separate bag and when I acclimated, I put all critters into the same acclimation bin, mixing all the bag water together and then drip acclimated.

It didn't occur to me to do it any differently at that time, but I've never done that since. If I've gotten more than one creature, they get dripped in their own bag.

All my crew from that first acclimation were fine, never thought anything about it, but I'm wondering if I should separately drip my next crew. I've got 9 separate critter groups coming. Easy enough to do either way, though I'll have to get some more airline to drip them separately. :)

Whatcha think?

Agu
07/15/2006, 12:44 PM
I add a few at a time, but I only have ten gallon tanks :lol:

The two major issues when acclimating are temp and salinity.

If you float the bags temp shouldn't be an issue.

If they're coming from the same place salinity should match but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you can handle it seperate bags is best, but if parameters match you should be able to mix them.

Cinderblock
07/15/2006, 05:01 PM
I have never had a problem adding new snails or Hermits. I just plop them and they have lived fine.

TheBadGuy
07/15/2006, 05:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7749327#post7749327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cinderblock
I have never had a problem adding new snails or Hermits. I just plop them and they have lived fine.

I am curious about this as I have a new clean up crew in route this upcoming week and recently read a thread where the vendor they purchased the snails/crabs from said to just put them in and NOT drip acclimate them like normal but to pretty much just put them in.

What do you others say?? Drip or drop?:)

bertoni
07/15/2006, 05:24 PM
One common reason for frequent replacement of cleaner crews is starvation. Too many animals tends to lead to mass death. Of course, the hermit crabs and other crabs will eat snails from time to time, too.

Debbie64
07/15/2006, 06:31 PM
Yep, I'll just drip them separately. Less stress and worry. On me. :D

And regarding drip or drop - inverts are more sensitive than fish. I think generally speaking, it would be a bad idea to not acclimate in some way.

I've noted that eTropicals (this is where I went the first time and I'm replenishing from the same place) seems to have a larger cleanup crew package per gallon than do some of the others. That is a lot of snails. :lol:

So, Jonathon, does that mean you think a new cleaning crew after a year and change is too soon?

bertoni
07/16/2006, 12:26 AM
Most of the snails should live for decades. I haven't added much in the way of cleanup animals over the years.

wav3form
07/16/2006, 01:11 AM
You could always experiment. Drop one in and drip another. See what happens.

Ursus
07/16/2006, 02:15 AM
Im pretty sure that you only drop them straight in if they have been out of water for awhile. I remember reading that one company ships in very little water and instucts buyers to just drop them in.