PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish biting off pieces of bubble tip anemone

aquapod
07/15/2006, 12:40 PM
Just got a anemone and a clownfish I had seen mated at a LFS. The clown fish has been hiding in a corner all night and the anemone has been recessed most of its body into a crack. Finally the clown fish finds the aneomone and now its biting off chunks of the anemone and eating it. Its taken off about 3 tentacles so far and keeps putting it in and out his mouth like bubble gum until he has eaten it then goes in for another tentacle. Is this normal behaviour?

crustin
07/15/2006, 12:52 PM
LOL - i dont think so

aquapod
07/15/2006, 01:03 PM
hmm wonder why it was friendly to the amenoe in the store and now its trying to eat it. I keep scaring it away from it hoping that once the lights come on the anemone will blow inflate it self and the clown will love it again

aquapod
07/15/2006, 01:06 PM
hmm now its flapping back and forth into it real hard i guess to blow it up. YAY. Wonder why it was eating it at first? I guess to say hey buddy i'm back!!!! this is wayyyyyyyyyyy too cool. I read somewhere on a post on wetwebmedia where a guy asked about putting an anemone in a 30 gallon tank the the guy yelled at him. I got a 24 hope this works. I used to have a condylactis in a 10 gallon and it stayed pefectly for a long long time until I broke down the tank. Tried another one in that tank but it blew up on me in 2 days.

Dubbin1
07/15/2006, 01:42 PM
Clowns will sort of suck on the anemone. Maybe it got a little carried away.

aquapod
07/15/2006, 02:43 PM
YAY here is he playing, you were right he bit them off the first couple of times, then he started sucking on it to get it to inflate kinda like you would to get a nipple hard.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/thehomi/reef/anemclwnsm.jpg

Dubbin1
07/15/2006, 03:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7748799#post7748799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquapod
then he started sucking on it to get it to inflate kinda like you would to get a nipple hard.

First off they do not do that to inflate them and second off you REALLY should edit that nipple comment. Oh and third, stop stealing my occupation.

cristhiam
07/15/2006, 08:08 PM
:lol:

Nano_reeflover
07/15/2006, 08:11 PM
lmao

Steven0000
07/15/2006, 08:34 PM
haha

JeBuS
07/16/2006, 02:08 AM
wow that was funny

aquapod
07/16/2006, 02:29 AM
OK i'm new to this anemone thing but why does it expand to 4 times its size at night? Here is a picture of it in its hole during the day and then completely expanded at night. I was going to put a clam next to it. Will the clam be hurt by the anemone if it touches it?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/thehomi/reef/DSC00546.jpg
Here it is at night with the clown sleeping in it.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/thehomi/reef/DSC00550.jpg

McCrary
07/16/2006, 03:54 AM
The anemone biting was one thing, but the nipple comment, lol.

lauren612
04/02/2013, 09:23 PM
Finally the clown fish finds the aneomone and now its biting off chunks of the anemone and eating it. Its taken off about 3 tentacles so far and keeps putting it in and out his mouth like bubble gum until he has eaten it then goes in for another tentacle. Is this normal behaviour?

My tomato clown is doing the same thing!! He bit off three tentacles from my green bubble tip and ate them. Now the clown is back to regular hosting, and actually seems like he is being rough wit the anemone. I just got the clown yesterday (I also have a pink skunk, and a nemo ocellaris). I am worried that the tomato clown is not good for the tank, or good for the anemone for that matter. Is this normal because the fish is new to the tank?

kismetsh
04/03/2013, 05:11 AM
My tomato clown is doing the same thing!! He bit off three tentacles from my green bubble tip and ate them. Now the clown is back to regular hosting, and actually seems like he is being rough wit the anemone. I just got the clown yesterday (I also have a pink skunk, and a nemo ocellaris). I am worried that the tomato clown is not good for the tank, or good for the anemone for that matter. Is this normal because the fish is new to the tank?

Mixing clowns is generally a terrible idea. What size tank is this?

Dave Thebrewguy
04/03/2013, 07:26 AM
Mixing clowns is generally a terrible idea. What size tank is this?
+1
My money is on the Tomato clown, the other two won't last very long :(

lauren612
04/03/2013, 07:01 PM
Thank you so much for the replies! Im new to the forum, and not really sure how it works yet.

The tank is 40 gallons. Aside from the clowns, I have a watchman goby, chalk bass (who does nothing but sit underneath one of my rocks), a pj cardinal, sand sifter starfish, 2 hermit crabs, and a porcelain crab.