PDA

View Full Version : Would Pohl's CV or Amino Acids HC.....

bond007069
07/15/2006, 12:49 PM
Would Pohl's CV or Amino Acids HC help to bring out better/brighter colors, even with out using the Zeo system?

Would it be a waste of time/money

Would there be any benefit?

Thanks for the opinions

Horace
07/15/2006, 02:03 PM
I think it may benefit your tank, especially if you have lightened colors because of super low nutrients. Is it expensive stuff?? Yep!

reefplayer
07/15/2006, 09:55 PM
I think its a wate of money...

I tried.. Nothing much happened and if you add more, may lead to TN of your sps..

Best of luck and do it with caution.

jay24k
07/15/2006, 09:58 PM
I haven't seen any results posted here yet but like most things, the more expensive it is, the better it "must" be. I think good husbandry and good equipment (lights skimmer etc) is all you need.

reefreef
07/16/2006, 12:07 AM
amino acids do work. after a month your should notice better colour in corals.

bond007069
07/16/2006, 07:24 AM
thanks guys for the replies.

good husbandry and fancy equiptment are obviously there, just wondering there is anything else i could do.

jay24k
07/16/2006, 08:49 AM
If they truly do work, I'd like to see pictures of a tank running for a year without em and then with them. I see too many people aquire a coral and then say wow what a difference. When in fact, corals will change in different tanks.

Fatboy
07/16/2006, 08:50 AM
I've been dosing both products since December 2005 and I'm very happy with the results.

This is how part of the tank looked at the end of December 05.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2058/imagen1885tb.jpg

This is how the tank looked on mid May 05.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1640/imagen0482cu.jpg
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3484/imagen0406to.jpg

I dose both products daily and I'm more than pleased with my growth rate. I don't use the Zeolites.

One month ago I started also with the whole Prodibio system but that was after these pictures were taken.

jaefei
07/16/2006, 10:16 AM
AAHC good for PE

jay24k
07/16/2006, 03:17 PM
That looks like nice growth but I've seen and experienced the same or higher growth in my corals too.

Is this stuff for people whose tank it is hard to keep colorful? I'm not trying to dog on anyone but the colors in your tank are very nice but I don't see the colors being any more vibrant then others with similiar corals. That's why I'm skeptical. I'm willing to bet if you stopped it, your corals would grow very well still and color would still look nice.

TacoKing
07/16/2006, 07:52 PM
I agree. AAHC is great for PE. I notice a huge difference when I dose and when I don't..

bond007069
07/16/2006, 08:00 PM
which would be best pohls or AAHC

or both?

amuruges
07/16/2006, 08:20 PM
I concur with AAHC giving good polyp extension, I see the same with CV as well. Then again I use the zeo system. But I didn't see any big difference in my non-zeo tank after 2 months of usage.
I don't think it will hurt to try both, 60 bucks isn't too bad for a years supply to try on a 100 gal system. Think it becomes essential to use in zeo tanks and non-zeo you have other options as well... I believe clkwrk had good results with tropic marine products.
As for using CV in non-zeotanks you probably need to over skim the system, CV is suggested to be refrigirated so anything that is not consumed by the corals will probably foul up the tank and cause more problems than helping the system.

reefplayer
07/17/2006, 11:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7753705#post7753705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jay24k
That looks like nice growth but I've seen and experienced the same or higher growth in my corals too.

Is this stuff for people whose tank it is hard to keep colorful? I'm not trying to dog on anyone but the colors in your tank are very nice but I don't see the colors being any more vibrant then others with similiar corals. That's why I'm skeptical. I'm willing to bet if you stopped it, your corals would grow very well still and color would still look nice.

I have to agreed with you...

Do i see any spetacular colours rather than those posted in their forum which i see it heavily photoshoped?

Even without CV or any zeovit products, with good husbandry practices (also being listed as in their instructions), i dont see why the corals cannot grow or colors not nice. It will be the same, except they earn more and you spent more. In addition, you risked your corals being TN if you are not careful. :mixed:

Fatboy
07/17/2006, 12:09 PM
The picture I posted is from the right hand side of my tank. Unfortunatelly, i didnt post pictures of the left side which is the place were I first placed some SPS on mid 2005. There was a big difference in growth rate between those first SPS and the ones that you can see in the picture. My firts SPS were not growing as much as the ones I'm showing on the pictures and that were introduced in the tank at the same time that I started dosing CV and AAHC. No changes in equipment or husbandry were done in all that time.

I'm not trying to say that this would work the same way for everybody, but in my case I was able to compare the growth of "my" corals and I'm happy with the results. If someone is happy with the results that is getting without the use of any od these products, maybe it should continue that way.

I buy CV and AAHC in Europe for a much lower price so adding them, is not going to get me bankrupt. I prefer to keep dosing them.....

And by the way...... I haven't seen any TN due to CV or AAHC. I agree that some of the other products can cause TN if you are not careful.

MiddletonMark
07/17/2006, 02:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7752305#post7752305 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jaefei
AAHC good for PE
And why is more polyp extension necessarily better?

I can take a coral, put it in a small bowl - and within an hour it has huge polyp extension. Is somewhat stagnant water then good for Acropora [as it increases PE] ... or is polyp extension not mean much?

Horace
07/17/2006, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7759953#post7759953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark
And why is more polyp extension necessarily better?

I can take a coral, put it in a small bowl - and within an hour it has huge polyp extension. Is somewhat stagnant water then good for Acropora [as it increases PE] ... or is polyp extension not mean much?

That is an interesting question my friend! I have heard that corals will extend thier polyps when they are not getting enough O2... I have noticed this as well on frag colonies in baggies...probably because O2 is short.

I THINK its generally accepted that corals should all have PE to some degree, though huge polyp extension may not always be a good sign. However, I think in most tanks, there is no issue with a lack of O2. Are there other reasons why a coral would show good PE??? I know one thing, Zero PE can certainly be a sign that something is wrong. TYPICALLY good PE is a good sign....

my2girls
07/17/2006, 08:35 PM
I am a Zeovit user now for 3 months plus. The system as a whole is excellent. I have not noticed a drastic change since starting it because my tank was already in good shape.

Basically, CV is a very clean coral food and not a magic potion. The AAHC are highly concentrated amino acids (hence the name). Overdosing these two will only fuel algae. No worries about TNs. Some of the zooxanthellae reducing Zeo supplements like Zeospur and B-balance can cause TNs if overdosed.

CeeGee
07/17/2006, 09:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7762238#post7762238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by my2girls
The system as a whole is excellent. I have not noticed a drastic change since starting it because my tank was already in good shape.

Then why keep using the system?

Not trying to be a smarty but I found that odd.

The system is great I haven't noticed a difference.:D

Fatboy
07/17/2006, 09:30 PM
One thing I forgot to say is that if you dose too much AAHC, your corals will turn more brown cause you would be fueling the zooxanthellae..... that's why the corals in my picture didn't seem too colorful at the time of the picture. At the end of May I reduced the AAHC to three times a week instead of a daily dosage and now colors are much better.

I could say that AAHC could help you with coral growth but it would definitely darken your corals if its overdosed.

reefplayer
07/18/2006, 01:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7762653#post7762653 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CeeGee

That is why i always asked, if no difference, why spend more and go into the system?

Amino Acid is needed sometimes, but most of our fish food already contains some. When we feed our fish food, pellets, etc, there are already some amino acid contents. Thats my own opinion. ;)

Horace
07/18/2006, 06:18 AM
I am somewhat in the same boat as My2....I started about 3-4 months ago and while I havent noticed a major change, I will continue on with it. The reason is, I want to be sure my system stays void of nutrients FOREVER. Nutrients WILL build in a system over time if a propper "system" is not used to keep them low permanently. My tank was in great shape up until the time I started Zeo, IMO because it was simply new and I was feeding a very small amount and had a very small bioload. My intention is to increase my bioload with more fish, feed more and I do not not want to have to worry about my nutrients going up. I have also been witness to some truely stunning tanks that use it and I am simply trying to emulate thier tanks...That simple. Am I dropping more money into may tank than needed??? Probably....am I happy? Yep! Thats all that counts!

my2girls
07/18/2006, 06:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7762653#post7762653 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CeeGee

I should have been more clear. Zeovit has reduced my phosphate to 0.00 on my Hanna meter. Nuisance algae is all but gone. SPS colors have not changed that much, but the tank is in better shape. Soon I will be trying Zeospur2 and B-balance to reduce zooxanthellae to make the corals "pop". IMO once in phase 2 or 3 is where the Zeovit method proves itself.

There are several ways to skin the cat. Pick one.

sangraal
07/18/2006, 08:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7763969#post7763969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by my2girls

There are several ways to skin the cat. Pick one.

True, but if they all give the same results dosen't is make more sense to pick the cheapest one?

Eric Boerner
07/18/2006, 09:51 AM
Aside from understanding that corals should have color and they have polyps, does anyone understand why?

Why is a coral colored? Where does its color come from?
Why must a coral extend its polyps? What are those polyps for?
How does a coral resperate? How does a coral feed?

Figure that out first and come to your own hypothesis on what you're doing in your tank. Are you maintaining your corals for the fashion runway or are you making sure they are healthy corn fed hotties?

I could answer this one, but that wouldn't be any fun ...

RichConley
07/18/2006, 11:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7751118#post7751118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefreef
amino acids do work. after a month your should notice better colour in corals.

SPS can not intake amino acids. They are broken down like any other nitrate source. You'd be just as well off feeding your fish heavier.

Horace
07/18/2006, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7764788#post7764788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Eric Boerner
Aside from understanding that corals should have color and they have polyps, does anyone understand why?

Why is a coral colored? Where does its color come from?
Why must a coral extend its polyps? What are those polyps for?
How does a coral resperate? How does a coral feed?

Figure that out first and come to your own hypothesis on what you're doing in your tank. Are you maintaining your corals for the fashion runway or are you making sure they are healthy corn fed hotties?

I could answer this one, but that wouldn't be any fun ...

I would be interested to hear your opinions :P.

Here is how I would answer these questions w/ my limited knowlege:

Why is a coral colored? - To protect itself from UV

Where does its color come from? - Good question...I dont know

Why must a coral extend its polyps? - I would assume to feed/resparate and perhaps excrete waste?

What are those polyps for? - Read Above

How does a coral resperate? - Another good question, Im not 100% sure. My guess is polyps hae something to do with it...however perhaps they can absorb o2 through the flesh as well?

How does a coral feed? - For sure SPS feed mainly through photosynthesis, but I dont think its proven either way what if any filter-feeding they do.

Now I would be interested in seeing what you have to say on the subject :P

Horace
07/18/2006, 11:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7765172#post7765172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
SPS can not intake amino acids. They are broken down like any other nitrate source. You'd be just as well off feeding your fish heavier.

You know I never really thought of it that way but there certainly isnt anyone dosing aminos to the oceans.....So in your opinion you just need to maintain an exceptable amount of nutrients eh?