PDA

View Full Version : Diy Help !

UH_OH_5_OH
07/15/2006, 02:35 PM
Okay.....I'm needing some DIY help...or more accurately....Help me DIMyself...I need to build a gravity feed Auto top off for my sump and I've seen a few plans but I'm having difficulty making sense of some of it. If there is anyone in CIMA that can give me a hand with this......I would greatly appreciate it. PM me if you're good with DIY stuff and can help me out. Thanks so much !

DKKA
07/17/2006, 06:58 AM
Not sure what you're asking. Are you wanting plans? Or looking for someone to physically help you?

The good news is, neither is necessary. All you need to do is get a float valve (not a float switch) and find a way to mount it in your sump. Then all you need to do is connect it to a reservoir.
If you don't have a way to drill your sump (or if you don't want to drain the sump to have it drilled) you can take an acrylic box, like a specimen container, or from a HOB power filter (I used an old skilter protein skimmer since it was no good for anything else) and hang it on the inside of your sump. Drill a hole at the appropriate height to mount the float, and drill a couple more to allow water to enter the box and you are good to go. You may want to weight down the box, or glue it to secure it in place.

good luck,

Dan

UH_OH_5_OH
07/17/2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the intel Dan....I'll give it a try.....If you hear a loud bang in Peoria......it's just me detonating a couple lbs of watergel in my tank ! Course the 135 gallons might put out any flames.

Thanks again though.