PDA

View Full Version : ive had my 240 for two years now and still have not plumbed it for a sump cause ...

marinerules
07/15/2006, 08:29 PM
I bought my 240 gallon tank from glasscages.com , reef ready , it has two overflows , with 2 holes in each overflow, but im afraid of plumbing it due to leaks, ect. mainly cause I still live with the parents and I dont want a leak destroyign their house.

I would really like to have a sump , so I can hide all my heaters, filters, my protein skimmer, and maybe have a section in the sump for alot of media like carbon ect.

where I dont know to begin is do you just use regular plumbing glue , or will that poision the fish

also , I would lke alot of water movement , but I dont have to have a CYCLING Whirlpool in my tank.

what is a really good pump that would provide me with enough circulation for the tank and yet is a quite pump, I cant have a noisy one

marinerules
07/15/2006, 08:37 PM
do you have to have the pipes wiht the slanted holes , in your overflow box, or can you just let the water flow down to the holes ,

where can you get the pipes that go in the box with the slants in them to keep the noise down ?

jdieck
07/15/2006, 08:59 PM
Use PVC piping with primer and PVC glue. You shall have no problem once is fully dry.
Look for an external flow rated pump that can deliver 1500 to 1700 gallons per hour at 10 to 15 feet of head.
The stand pipe (Dursos) inside the averflow you can make yourself with PVC.
Use a sump that has a capacity of at least 60 gallons, use a minimum of 1" pipe diameter for the pipe from the pump to the tank and 1-1/2" for each of the two drains. Use a minimum of 11/2" pipe diameter for the pump inlet.
Install a gate valve at the pump outlet and a ball valve at the inlet, use unions between the pump and the valves so you can remove the pump for maintenance without emptying the sump.
Arrange so you can use a short piece of hose at the pump inlet and outlet to reduce vibration and noise.

marinerules
07/15/2006, 09:15 PM
ok thanks , that gets me started

under the tank , the drains from my bulkheads, do i get pipe that screws over them , or threaded pipe that screws in them , and then anoter pipe over that ?

jdieck
07/15/2006, 11:47 PM
If you can get them, to reduce the chances of leaks I like to use bulkheads that are slip socket on the outside and threaded inside the tank.
For the drain on the outside glue the pipe directly to the bulkhead and install a union about three inches from the bulkhead. On the inside use a threaded male adaptor glued to the stand pipe. On top use a T a Cap and a 90 deg elbow to form the top of the durso, do not glue the T to the stand pipe so you can remove it for cleaning. To remove or install the stand pipe just thread in or out the standing pipe.

For the return lines do the same as for the drains on the outside, on the inside use a threaded by insert hose adapter threaded to the bulkhead, then use a hose to connect it to an insert by female elbow adapter trough the wall on top of the overflow wall and into a loc line adapter. See diagram below.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/18470135OF.jpg

marinerules
07/16/2006, 10:18 AM
see my bulkheaads i got are threaded in the inside and the outside

marinerules
07/16/2006, 10:26 AM
i want to know a good pump though , I want recommendations , what pumps are you guys using ?

is it ok , to have the return split into 2 different pipes , one going on one side of my tank ,and the other , on the oppossite side,

or do i need two pumps to do that

jdieck
07/16/2006, 11:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7752347#post7752347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marinerules
i want to know a good pump though , I want recommendations , what pumps are you guys using ?

is it ok , to have the return split into 2 different pipes , one going on one side of my tank ,and the other , on the oppossite side,

or do i need two pumps to do that
One pump shall be enough, just run 11/2" pipe dia up to the split and 1" from there.
My preferred external pump will be an Iwaki 70 RLT but it is a bit noisy.

marinerules
07/22/2006, 03:58 PM
hey , i cant have noisey lol , I dont want so much flow that my sand is going to be blowing all over the place, im also wanting to spend the least I can and still be getting a good pump ,

I have never learned how to post pictures on reefcentral , since they changed the way they do it along time ago , but I have a BLOG WEBSITE , with the pictures of my bulkheads

maybe someone can tell me what I need to do with them, whether to fit a pipe over them , or into them.

here is the link http://kirtismcleskey.blogspot.com/

let me know if the link doesnt work

PLEASE give some good recomendations on pumps

im wanting to use one hole in each overflow box for drians and one hold for returns, however, i only want to have one pump , so the piping is oging to have to be tee'd off in two different directions and then up to the tank