PDA

View Full Version : Temperature for FOWLR Setup.

Bluetooth
07/16/2006, 10:26 AM
I have a newly set up fowlr system. Sump and skimmer, pretty simple set up. I was wondering if the accepted norms for marine aquariums for temp. (78-81 degrees) is what is needed for all marine systems, or just reef systems? I have researched like crazy only to find fererences to coral stress and death at higher temps. I know all the cooling tricks (fans, frozen 2 liter bottle in sump, etc.) but am wondering if a chiller would be needed for my fowlr set up. Right now I have only three blue green chromis, and they seem to be fine (three weeks). My system is running at 86 degrees due to the lights. I will not proceed with adding any more fish if this is too warm.

Thanks

Fishy Business
07/16/2006, 10:31 AM
Does the temp stay @ 86 constantly? Or does it shift from the early morn and through the night? Having the same temp ALL the time is very important because if not, your fish will get stressed out and then their immune system will drop and then they could possibly get sick.

IMO, 86 seems a little on the hot side. But get a second opinion from some of the more "seasoned vets" on here ( aka "old guys" ;) :D )

Agu
07/16/2006, 11:15 AM
86 is a bit high, the highest average temp of the Pacific at the equator is about 84. For a fowler you should still shoot for normal water temps as found in nature, around 80 degrees. A lot of people with fowlers prefer to have temps even cooler like in the mid 70s. Part of this is because the warmer the water the less oxygen it can hold.

Temp fluctuation, within reason, doesn't stress fish and cause ick ime. My nanos can vary up to 5 degrees in 24 hours. But it's a gradual change and temps are within normal values for the livestock.

WaterKeeper
07/16/2006, 11:21 AM
I'm with Agu; 86° F is a bit high. For the short term I wouldn't worry but even with a FO tank I'd like to see it below 83° F. It would be especially hazardous in your area. You probably have AC but a power outage could cause the room temps to really go up on an already very warm tank.

Billybeau1
07/16/2006, 11:21 AM
Our Chemist Randy Holmes-Farley discusses temperature a bit in this article.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm