PDA

View Full Version : RO/Di Filter any good?

Buster4900
07/16/2006, 12:29 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Reef-6st-100GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-DI-Water-Filters_W0QQitemZ120006669635QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can get this for a few bucks more than a new set of filters. Seems like the price is especially cheap. Any experience with this?

AZDesertRat
07/16/2006, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't. Its cheap for a reason. See if you can get the vendor to tell you the brand name of the RO membrane that it comes with that is supposedly "Made in USA". Its a cheap Chinese knock off that is probably not even ANSI/NSF certified for drinking water use in the US. I would assume all the other filters and components are of similar questionable quality and origin.
With most all RO/DI you really do get what you pay for, places like www.purelyh2o.com www.airwaterice.com, www.spectrapure.com and others aren't making a killing on what they sell, its just quality costs a little more. They stand behind their products and will be here tomorrow and next year to answer your questions and provide customer support.

atvdave
07/16/2006, 12:52 PM
I tell you what!!! You people and "If its cheep it MUST be junk"

Buster.. I have had the RO6100DINT model for all most 3 years now. It works great. If your going to use it for your aquarium only I'd get the 2 DI filter set up. My tds are 1 or less.

The membrane is made by Osmonics, Desal model tfm-100

Good luck
Dave

1SickReefer
07/16/2006, 02:09 PM
LOL atvdave,

As much as we try to make you guys understand the difference between cheap filters and quality filters it just does not sink in. The ebay units have GAC carbon, horizontal DI, knock off TFC membranes and 5 micron sediment filters and are not what you want for your reef, These are the facts, do what you like with the info

Dave, you've had you unit for 3 years? When did you change your filters last?

ReefMeister2
07/16/2006, 02:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7753037#post7753037 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
I wouldn't. Its cheap for a reason. See if you can get the vendor to tell you the brand name of the RO membrane that it comes with that is supposedly "Made in USA". Its a cheap Chinese knock off that is probably not even ANSI/NSF certified for drinking water use in the US. I would assume all the other filters and components are of similar questionable quality and origin.
With most all RO/DI you really do get what you pay for, places like www.purelyh2o.com www.airwaterice.com, www.spectrapure.com and others aren't making a killing on what they sell, its just quality costs a little more. They stand behind their products and will be here tomorrow and next year to answer your questions and provide customer support.

EXACTLY what he said!
I'd follow AZDesertRat's advice!
Those three vendors he listed are not the "cheapest"...
(is that REALLY what you want for your family's drinking water and a multi-thousand dollar reef???)
....but they ARE the "Best-Bang-For-Your-Buck", hands down!
;)

atvdave
07/16/2006, 04:00 PM
I definitely agree with you guy's that there are much better RO/DI systems out there, but what I don't agree with you guy's is that it's necessary to have the high end units to have a successful reef aquarium.

As long as the filters get out the bad stuff in the water,(and mine does) then I'll use it.

It's not always necessary to have the best of the best all the time, It would be nice, but not necessary.

Best regards
Dave

Mirror Pond
07/16/2006, 04:43 PM
My 0 TDS is better than your 0 TDS! :D

AZDesertRat
07/16/2006, 04:43 PM
What you need to understand is if you don't use good quality filters and a good membrane you end up spending much more on replacement DI resin and premature membrane failures. Not to mention they DO NOT turn out the same water quality. Why not spend $50 more in the beginning to save yourself much more than that over the next 3 to 5 years?
And 0 TDS is not all the same. I will guarantee you my 0 TDS is much better than yours. I am using a Spectrapure MaxCap dual DI system and it is registering at 18 megaOhms on a Thornton conductivity/resistivity meter. A TDS meter has nowhere near that accuracy.

atvdave
07/21/2006, 06:21 PM
I need to apologize to all I bashed earlier in the week.

Here's a repost I put in a different thread here on RC.

Sorry to hitchhike into your club but I think I may help with your filter replacement issue.

I also have a Water General 6100 RO/DI unit. I replaced my filters ( i got from FD) on 10/11/05. I replaced all of them the sediment, carbon, membrane, and I replaced the in-line carbon (6th stage) with another DI cartage, so I have 2 DI filters.

So I notice the other day that my 100GPD system was only producing about 25GPD. Thinking my pre-filters needed changed I went to Lowe's to install some PSI gages on the input side and after the last carbon filter (3rd stage) to see if they where clogged. I had 70psi going in, and 70psi going out (after the 3rd stage). So that tales me that my membrane is clogged. So I took AZ'z advice and ordered some quality filters from purely H2O. The filters haven't came in yet but I can tell you from first hand the replacement filters from FD are junk.

Using H2O's live chat the lady walked me right through the right filters that I was to need, and since I am going from a 100gpd to a 75gpd system they even through in a new flow restrictor for free.

Also I must apologize to AZ for bashing him in a different thread about the WG filters. You live and learn

You should all listen to AZ, he knows what he's talking about.

Sorry AZ

Dave

BeanAnimal
07/21/2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks for admiting your error dave. You are one of the few people here who has actually done so after learning the truth about DO/DI units and the fact that some of us are just trying to HELP.

Dave with your new 75 GPD membrane you will get 4-5 times the life out of each DI change. Your will also likely save a bit on wastewater with the DOW FILMTEC membrane and your pre filters will do a much better job of pretocting the membrane and removing chlorine and other chemicals.

Mirror Pond, my 0 TDS costs 1/5 of your 0 TDS gallon after gallon :D

Enjoy

ReefMeister2
07/21/2006, 06:58 PM
Mirror Pond, my 0 TDS costs 1/5 of your 0 TDS gallon after gallon

LOL, I initially thought you were exagerating until I crunched the numbers. Amazing but true!... rejection rate is quite similar to compound interest; you'll be amazed by how much it adds up in the long-haul!
;)

AZDesertRat
07/21/2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks Dave!
My intent is not to bash anyone or any product but to steer people to products that really do work and that are good values. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why certain vendors cannot and will not sell better products other than the almighty dollar. I have no connection to any of the vendors that I recommend other than the fact that I recognize they use quality components in the construction of their RO/DI units and they all provide excellent customer and technical support. None are out to make a quick buck and in fact most if not all are aquarists just like the rest of us.
I truly believe that if some vendors would spend maybe $10 or $15 more at their wholesale level they could provide a unit that is 100% better than what they pass off to unsuspecting buyers today. A little better quality and a few more $$$ upfront will save you a fortune in the long run.

Mirror Pond
07/21/2006, 08:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7789100#post7789100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal

Mirror Pond, my 0 TDS costs 1/5 of your 0 TDS gallon after gallon :D

Enjoy

LOL :D

BeanAnimal
07/21/2006, 08:42 PM
not sure of that laugh was one of remorse or disbelief... However my ear to ear grin was for the fact that what I spoke was the truth, not some kind of inside joke :)

Mirror Pond
07/21/2006, 09:04 PM
I just thought it was funny. I don't even have a RO/DI unit yet, I'm still in the researching phase for all of my tank components. My original comment was also meant to be funny, hence the smiley face.

twkenny
07/22/2006, 05:43 AM
I'd stay away from most of the inexpensive eBay units. I bought a FilterDirect and am happy with it now that I have "upgraded" it to a more standard type unit. I relpaced the membrane with a 75 GPD Dow Filmtec, and added a vertical DI chamber because those horizontal tubes are a huge pain in the butt.
If I had just purchased a quality unit from the start, I would have saved money.

Ridgeline
07/22/2006, 06:25 AM
I just got a Typhoon III from air water and ice and I like it alot

john rochon
08/01/2006, 07:21 AM
could use some help from AZ, I picked up my new membrane but was concerned about carbon [chloramines here].
I have 2 prefilters and 3 carbons [gac]. what would be the best prefliters and carbon for my cause. I have 5 canisters to fill.

AZDesertRat
08/01/2006, 02:14 PM
Use granular catalytic carbon in at least one of the carbons and have either a 1 or 0.5 mirron carbon block following it to trap any fines or dust it may let off.

SpectraPure
08/01/2006, 03:47 PM
I thought I would weigh in on the misnomer "ZERO TDS". Persons stating ZERO TDS I assume are referring to Zero Indicated TDS. What's the difference you ask? Well, quite a bit when you are really talking about ultrapure water. Ultrapure water is about 18.2 mohms or about 0.05 microseimens. Most Reefers are after such ultrapure water in our experience. Thus, if there were such a thing as "ZERO TDS", it might be more appropriately measured around 0.05 micro siemens. Unfortunately, most (not all) inexpensive TDS meters can resolve about 5 micro seimens. That is several decades less sensitivity than required to be stating so called "ZERO TDS".
While 5 micro siemens conductivity (at an affordable price and rugged instrument easily operated and maintained) is very reasonable for for break-through detection to signal cartridge replacement required, it is clearly not sufficient to measure or crow about having “ZERO TDS” . Thus, postings where one has "measured" a system or component performance and state they have "ZERO TDS" should be careful to quantify the accuracy of the instrument they are using to make such a claim. Hopefully have shown that zero is not always zero.