PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer water leveling help

Mr Bojangles
07/16/2006, 04:28 PM
Ok here is the situation, I have a 92g corner tank with a tide pool filter tuned sump. The sump has a auto top off and my skimmer is a older sealife systems skimmer (see pic) I have put a gate valve on the output to help with the leveling of the water level, but even the auto top off cant keep a constant level in the sump making the skimmer have a over flow condition or no flow at all. Is there a loop setup or some way to make the skimmer have a constant water level inside while the outside levels fluctuates?

http://www.bioreef.com/skimmers.jpg

BeanAnimal
07/16/2006, 07:42 PM
Put the skimmer in a bucket (or suitable container) inside the sump. Feed the bucket with overflow water. Drill holes in the bucket at the desired water level (or just let it overflow).

kgross
07/16/2006, 11:29 PM
Or change the output of the skimmer to use a hartford loop to control the water level.

Kim

Mr Bojangles
07/17/2006, 08:34 AM
AH the hartford loop is the word I was looking for! I am gana try that and see how it goes

BeanAnimal
07/17/2006, 08:58 AM
kim the hartfrod look does nothing for changing water level on the input side of the skimmer. As the sump level rises, head decreases and the pump works better, causing the skimmer level to rise. As the water evaporates and the sump level drops, the head increases. This causes the skimmer to run at a slightly lower level (even with the loop).

What I am saying is the loop will help, but if the level fluctuation is more than an 1" or so, then the skimmers performance will be significantly degraded and the "bucket" will be needed.

Mr Bojangles
07/17/2006, 09:06 AM
I have used the bucket before And I would again, but with the area that is under the corner stands I am limited, and I have attempted to get a bigger sump in there, but my wife is saying no (for now)

BeanAnimal
07/17/2006, 09:08 AM
ignore that wife... I mean play the jedi mind trick... If you REALLY want that sump, there are plenty of ways to get it. You could even just get it and take the dog house punishment for a few weeks.

Mr Bojangles
07/17/2006, 09:10 AM
well we are gana have a talk tonight, I will try the Jedi mind trick, If it works I might ask for some other stuff too

chalowolf
07/18/2006, 06:56 AM
Put up a divider between the skimmer and return pump.

jmkarcz
07/19/2006, 08:57 AM
I used the same fix that chalowolf recommended. The water in my sump would fluctuate, if not from evap, then just plain old putting my arm in the tank. THE PAIN came from the fact that you carefully adjust the skimmer, then needed to reach in and do some work, the water would raise 1" in the sump, the skimmer would be overly adjusted for that period of time and for moments after, removing to much skimmate, overfilling the cup im minutes... or... worse yet, the evap after 1/2 day would drop the water to far, and the skimmer would not be effective.

I experimented with the location of the baffel between the skimmer and the return pump, creating a dam, high enough for the surge on the lower side not to rise above it, yet not so high that the skimmer wouldn't work...as there was a magical point where the higher water level assisted with the head to much, and the skimmer didn't work at all. (magical because your height will be different).

I Like the pail idea- its functional, yet, I am a little more fussy in that I would suggest a 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon aquarium set inside the sump. Theres nothing wrong with the pail, I just like to see whats going on everywhere at any time, in my sump. if it needed to be taller, I would get a clay brick or 2, (not concrete) and gently place them under the tank. Of course the skimmer and the return will need to be inside the tank, while the pump is in the sump proper.

The water top off... that's a tougher one...

J

chalowolf
07/19/2006, 06:35 PM
clay brick, contains Iron. Mightt give you some algae, depending on your water parameters.

jmkarcz
07/20/2006, 07:53 AM
Some, Not many. Iron will "explode" or "pop" when the brick is fired. You are only vaguely correct. Just pick a solid colored brick. - Also, the iron only a minute amount... almost non existant. Also, it's locked up in the brick. Baked into the clay.

Almost never see a brick building rust... only the metal on the building... then it runs accross the brick...

If the brick is a hangup, use.... an upsidedown tupperware or rubbermaid container. I work at a brick yard, so if I need to raise something up.... I use brick. I've used it before with no problem. I noticed that your from Ca. Chalowolf, you are in a different zone for brick quality... I am in a zone for brick rated for extreme weather. For bricks/buildings that freeze, we need a certain strength. I can't get that from mudd bricks that are sun dried.. which means I should have qualified my self better... sorry.

It's all in fun though...IMO.

Jason

chalowolf
07/20/2006, 09:45 AM
No problem . I used a clay brick to hold up a divider in a freshwater set up and the next day my water was green. Took it out and after some water changes , my water was back to normal. Wierd.

Charlie Davidson
07/20/2006, 10:07 AM
ignore that wife... I mean play the jedi mind trick ----- Bean, your a trip! :lol2: