PDA

View Full Version : can i?

lifeenthusiast
07/16/2006, 06:43 PM
Hey guys, I just tested my tank parameters again and everything looks right on except my alkalinity is a bit high at about 4.3 meq/L and also my nitrates are still at about 15 ppm, dropping at about 5 ppm a week. I’ve already added 2 clowns, 6 green chromis, a watchman goby, a gorgonian, and my clean up crew. So far I haven’t seen any kind of swings as I added the life and I am really happy with the progress. My question is do you think I can start adding some corals now. Maybe some softies or lps. Or are my nitrates still too high. I’m getting anxious:confused: O ya if i can how do i sign up for the donor lists. I need just about everything.

reefnetworth
07/16/2006, 06:48 PM
how old is the tank? a clam would love those nitrates. LPS are softies. they can handle small amounts of NO3. sounds like patience is the virtue but if you must add do it slow and let the bacteria catch up to the bio-load. REEF-ON!!!

evil_monkey
07/16/2006, 09:18 PM
lps are large polyp stonies, softies have no calcium skeletons, like leathers, xenia and so forth.

siren
07/17/2006, 06:34 AM
The first thing I added in my tank was corals. Started out with some xenia and some zoas. Then slowly added my fish so I didn't get a spike. I was really happy to see my nitrates at 15 back at that stage. That just told me the biofiltration was doing it's thing so it looks like your tank is on the right track. If you want to swing by my place some time today, I have a frag of xenia I can give you!

quaz
07/17/2006, 07:41 AM
I think that adding some hardy coral will benefit your tank. Xenia(if there are no ph swings), Zoanthid/Palythoa, leathers, Hammer/frogspawn, CandyCane, Clams, and others. Those, in my opinion and experience will help the new tank and process some organic material.

lifeenthusiast
07/17/2006, 07:11 PM
Alright that is great new! Thanks for help guys and siren i will take you up on that offer. Also Nano, i have only had it up about 3 months. That is when i added rock and started cycling. Although it was over a year in sitting empty while i studied and collected expensive reef toys, r uh equiptment.

evil_monkey
07/17/2006, 08:05 PM
I will have a frag of stagehorn monti digi for you when you are ready.

mike

lifeenthusiast
07/19/2006, 08:06 PM
Thats awesome mike, thanks. Maybe at the next meeting.

TheMcs
07/19/2006, 09:36 PM
I have to disagree with a clam being a good first "coral".

lifeenthusiast
07/20/2006, 04:39 PM
I believe you but do you mind explainging why this is the case. I was surprised to hear that it would be but don't really understand why. I'm still a newbie.

keckles
07/20/2006, 05:12 PM
The planktonic needs of the juveniles, lighting requirements of the mature, calcium absorption, water movement, and placement are a few examples.

Sure, you can go buy an "easy, low-light" clam and might even find some success with it. But, as Greg mentioned, they are certainly not the best choice for the first addition to the aquarium. FWIW, a clam's ability to remove nitrates is minimal.

Soft Corals are always a good first choice. You could also try some LPS if you are prepared for the calcium/alkalinity additions. :)

scott0615
07/20/2006, 06:12 PM
As ususal - well said Jared.