PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop set up help for a 40 gallon breeder tank??

MarineGirl411
07/16/2006, 08:37 PM
Hi,
Can you guys please help me? I am trying to set up a closed loop system for my 40 gallon breeder aquarium. 36X18X16. What size overflow hole should I use into my sump? What pump would you recommend for my return from my sump? I have a mag 3 in my skimmer if that helps. A man from our local reef store suggested using mag 7's for the return from the sump to the tank, then also using a mag 7 for the closed loop system. My question is, what pump do you suggest using? I've heard various things from many people. I need good flow. I want to keep, clams, frogspawn, hammer corals, mushrooms, leather corals, orange caps, and maybe when my skills improve move up. I don't want to add powerheads to the tank. What size holes do you suggest drilling in my tank for the overflow? Would 1.5 in be good? I want to minimize the amount of noise draining from my tank into my sump. How many inches from the surface do you suggest drilling? My bf wants to drill 7 in from the surface for the overflow. I've heard only a few inches from the surface. What would you do? What size holes do you suggest drilling in my closed loop? I need things to be a little quiet if possible. What drill bits do you suggest using? Also, I do not want a siphon overflow because I don't want a chance of a flood. I live in an apartment. Thank you all. I would appreciate any response if you know.