PDA

View Full Version : LR Curing

khrios
07/17/2006, 07:21 AM
I have 45 lbs of fiji premium LR in my display and a week and a half ago I got another 90 lbs. I have the new stuff curing in a rubbermaid bin, and was wondering when to add it to the display and how slowly. Some have said to smell the rock, and once it smells like seawater to add it, but since I got it, it has never smelled bad or rotten at all. At the same time, it doesn't really smell like seawater. My ammonia levels were low when I tested last week. The piece of paper I got with the rock says to wait until ammonia is 0, is this correct or should I wait longer? There has been very little dieback since I got the rock, no white film on the rock, and hardly any other "dead" stuff lying around when I scrub.

Avi
07/17/2006, 07:46 AM
It sounds like the rock was fairly well cured and there hasn't been much die-off. You should still definitely wait for the ammonia to retreat to zero and also watch nitrate levels, too. As for the smell...fully cured rock may or may not have a seawater smell.

WaterKeeper
07/17/2006, 09:18 AM
Just follow the direction and let the ammonia drop to zero. I'd skip the scrubbing at this point as it does sound nearly ready. By best is ammonia levels will be absent in a day or two.

khrios
07/17/2006, 06:53 PM
how slowly should I add it to my display tank once ammonia is zero?

Avi
07/17/2006, 08:03 PM
Once the ammonia is at zero in the rubbermaid bin, you can just put it all into your main tank. Just to be on the safe side, you can add one-half on one day...test...then if all tests well...no perceivable ammonia or nitrates....go ahead and add the rest. I guess that's being a bit conservative, but no biggie waiting two days to do it.

WaterKeeper
07/18/2006, 08:26 AM
Sounds good to me Avi.