PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with spot feeding?

LBCBJ
07/17/2006, 10:46 AM
I have a few 1-2" maximas in my tank and I was considering feeding them DT's phyto. I've read several threads where people say "I hope you're not spot feeding your clams...". Why not? How could a little extra phyto (more than would be scattered in the water) be harmful?

mbbuna
07/17/2006, 11:28 AM
clams feed slowly all day long. if they are feed a large amount at one time they will just reject most if not ll of it.

RichConley
07/17/2006, 01:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7758534#post7758534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mbbuna
clams feed slowly all day long. if they are feed a large amount at one time they will just reject most if not ll of it.

I've heard that, but then why is hte recomendation with small maximas to leave them in a phyto bath for an hour or two each day? It seems like they'd just spit it all up.

mbbuna
07/17/2006, 01:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7759233#post7759233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
I've heard that, but then why is hte recomendation with small maximas to leave them in a phyto bath for an hour or two each day? It seems like they'd just spit it all up.

ive never seen anyone recommend a 1 to 2 hour phyto bath. people do 20 to 30 min baths but most of them do that in fear of polluting there tanks with the phyto. when clams are given these baths, they do uptake some phyto but most of it is simply rejected

Omar H
07/20/2006, 09:42 PM
So Mbbuna, do you feed phyto?

mbbuna
07/20/2006, 11:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7783460#post7783460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Omar H
So Mbbuna, do you feed phyto?

i don't intentionally feed my clams anything but light. in most well established, mature tanks, there is plenty of filter food for a T. clam. do i add phyto? sometimes, but not very often, and when i do, its not to feed my clams.

Clams can and will use phyto but i use phyto more as a "bottom of the food chain" thing.i use it to feed my cryptic things and in turn they reproduce and feed higher organisms