PDA

View Full Version : older tank...improve glass clarity

ryanpal
07/17/2006, 11:52 AM
hey guys, the tank i have is pretty old (20+ years) i haven't looked at it recently but im sure there might be some scratches or imperfections. are there any products out there that can fill the scratches and help overall imperfections to lesson the negative ppearence?

thanks again,
ryan

Dubbin1
07/17/2006, 12:03 PM
No there is really nothing you can do about scratches in glass. With a tank that old and if it has been sitting empty for a few years I would recommend replacing it other then taking the chance of a leak or major blowout.

ryanpal
07/17/2006, 01:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7758791#post7758791 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
No there is really nothing you can do about scratches in glass. With a tank that old and if it has been sitting empty for a few years I would recommend replacing it other then taking the chance of a leak or major blowout.

ahh thats a shame...it has been sitting empty on and off for a frew years however it had fresh water fish a few months ago without any issues. i guess i'll just hope for the best for now ;/

thanks for the info

ryan

Dubbin1
07/17/2006, 01:54 PM
What size tank is it?

schiejr
07/17/2006, 02:13 PM
I have a few tanks matching that description that are set up now and doing fine. As long as the silicone is in good shape, I use them and have had no problems.

ryanpal
07/17/2006, 08:21 PM
the size of the tank is a 40 gallon... think its ilke 8 inches wide by prob 2.5 feet...or soemting like that... ididnt measure. unfortuantley the tank does look like i'll have to clean it...water stains and what not.

i guess the best bet is to scrap with a razor and just use water to clean right?

ryanpal
07/24/2006, 11:19 AM
anyone want to share some input on the best way to clean the tank? i understand you dont want to use any harmful chemicals, detergents etc. My guess was just use a razor and water...is that correct?

ryan

MrSpiffy
07/24/2006, 11:32 AM
You can always use a vinegar/water mix or straight vinegar if you have calcium build-up. I tried it, and it worked like a charm. (It wasn't overly bad, though, so it could take some scrubbing.) But that may take off hard water stains, etc. Otherwise, use bleach diluted in water to disinfect the tank before using it. And make sure you rinse it well enough so you can't smell anymore bleach.