PDA

View Full Version : tunze osmolator

gcarroll
07/17/2006, 04:19 PM
I'm just curious as to why the plug is switchable to 9 volt or 12 volt. Can the unit run on 12 volt?

rvitko
07/17/2006, 04:23 PM
Yes, it gives the pump a bit more power if needed, but the life of the pump will be shorter.

gcarroll
07/17/2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks Roger. I just wasn't sure because the instructions say nothing about it. So far I love the unit and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to buy a top off or kalk dosing system.

Herbie
07/17/2006, 08:27 PM
I was wondering that also.
I didnt want to try it on 12v and risk burning something up! I guess if the Osmolator was used on a very large tank, it may be worth it to "boost" it up to 12v.
Set on 9v, it keeps up with my small tank just fine. Its good to know that it can be set on 12v though. The instuctions dont mention anything about it.
I would also highly recommend this system to anyone........its the best Top-off system I have ever used!
Later.........Herbie

Tampa Aquarium Service
07/17/2006, 09:28 PM
Somewhere deep in the instructions it says to switch to 12 volts if the pump will be lifting the water to the top of the tank 4 ft or higher. I have used that setting on a couple of clients tanks for more than a year with no ill effect. The reason that the system fill hose is at the tank top is because the water container for these systems is 30" tall. and with a typical sump being only 14"-17" high, once the system came on it would continue to gravity feed, so the hose is attached to the top rim of the tank. The optional Calcium reactor has a one way valve which keeps the water in the line from draining back to the reservoir. Overall, a good fool proof system.