PDA

View Full Version : Reef Safe Angels?

paljets
07/17/2006, 05:00 PM
I will be growing mostly mushrooms/polyps, maybe the odd Anemone..

I wanted to know what if any Angels (Larger angels specifically) I could safely keep without providing them some very expensive Mushroms as food :)

Specifically, like a Larger French angel, etc..

Thoughts / suggestions welcome

ablazinob
07/17/2006, 10:49 PM
wouldnt trust an angel with softies

Peter Eichler
07/17/2006, 10:57 PM
You're better off not trying it. Even the smaller angels that are often considered "safe" by many people can be destructive. Out of curiosity, what size tank do you have?

paljets
07/17/2006, 11:02 PM
Tank is 375 gallons in size..

--paul

willy21
07/17/2006, 11:23 PM
Any of the genicanthus species are completely reef safe because they are planktivores.

Peter Eichler
07/17/2006, 11:32 PM
How do you feel about feeding fairly heavily and often? Also, do you have any boisterous fish in your tank now? A pair of Genicanthus angels could be a good addition. However, they aren't ideal since they are often a deeper water fish and sometimes don't take well to the brightlights and warmer temps of a Reef Tank.

McCrary
07/18/2006, 01:02 AM
A regal angel or goldflake would do well. You may be able to get away with a blueface or navarchus if you raise them from juveniles. I currently have a regal, navarchus and chrysurus in my 110, all seem to be reef safe (for now, lol).

TKByrnes
07/18/2006, 09:09 AM
I have had 2 coral beauty angels and neither one has picked at my polyps or mushrooms. they pick at the rock around them but not the softies themselves.

twon8
07/18/2006, 09:11 AM
as said above, any genicanthus species is fine, i hava coral beauty that picks on sps and lps, but you might be fine with just softies.

bureau13
07/18/2006, 12:34 PM
I had a Majestic and a Blue Line which never picked on anything (occasionally he would nibble on bits of food or algae that had fallen or was growing in and around some zoas, causing them to close temporarily) until a nasty case of Marine Velvet took them out (tough way to learn the QT lesson). I plan on replacing them. I realize its risky, but I love the large angels too much not to try.

jds