PDA

View Full Version : Tough Worms (long read)

Ursus
07/17/2006, 08:00 PM
I recently had the joy of moving and getting my wisdom teeth extracted on the very same day :eek2: which led to me not moving my 20H untill a few days after. The good news is everything was moved successfully without any casualties. The only thing that didn't get moved was my 'fuge' that was more of a display of macro algae as it isn't connected to my main tank at all.

Now I had the fuge as I was going to hook it up to my 20, but couldn't get it to work without spending even more money and time which I decided wasn't worth it as im setting up a 75 soon. So it say. I toped it off and left a power head in it to keep the chaeto moving, but with no filtration other than 4" of sand, diatoms grew all over everything. Then came the cyano... But seeing as it was not hooked up to my main, it was no big deal. Fast forward to now. After leaving my fuge at the old house for about 2 weeks, I went and got it. Only about 6 inches of water remained and im sure the salinity was well past 1.040. But the chaeto was still alive! So I emptied out the water, threw away the chaeto with cyano stuck to it, and put the sand in a 10 gal. Then I made up some new water and filled it up. Plopped the chaeto in and figured I would need to somehow get some amphipods from my main into the fuge as they were surely all dead.

Well much to my surprise, not only are some amphipods still alive, I have just spotted two bristle worms which I didn't even know existed untill today!

The moral of the story is this: small inverts are tough!