PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to put a glass lid on a rimless tank?

Dave Legacy
07/17/2006, 08:38 PM
I want my next glass tank to be brace/rimless, but I need to have a lid on it or else my livestock will jump and also to keep my son out. I was thinking I could just get a plate of glass cut and lay it on top, but it would be a pain to open w/o a hinge. Has anyone put a glass lid on top of their rimless tanks? Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in Advance,
Dave Legacy

coralnut99
07/18/2006, 07:25 AM
Glass tops on sw aquariums can be a real pita. You will inevitably have some micro-bubble/ splashing issues, and sw is just very unkind to glass. The heat from your lighting will very quickly and permanently etch the glass. If you're trying to keep your little guy out of the tank, glass isn't the safest option, imho. I would try "eggcrate" light diffuser panels from your local HD, or Lowes. That should take care of both of your concerns, but I would opt of a rim that it would sit on. Additionally, coveing the tank completley with glass may hinder the gas exchange process that occurs at the water's surface. May not be that big an issue of you run a refugium though.