PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer Question...Need Advice

dcombs44
07/17/2006, 09:10 PM
I'm getting ready to set up my new 55 gallon....It's going to set on a Perfecto Pine stand with a 29 gallon sump below it.

The way that my sump is set up, I'm not sure if a skimmer will fit in one of the chambers or if there is any room to hang it anywhere...

My question is, does anyone know of a good affordable skimmer that I could set outside the sump on the inside of the stand and plumb it into the sump with pvc.

I was looking at a Euroreef CS80, but it doesn't look as if it can be used outside the sump.

carlosmh
07/18/2006, 03:45 AM
you can, u have to mod it though. I had a cs before, now I got a aquac ev 240. Its the best, I actually get better skimmage from the aquac than my euroreef. And the other advantage is that it came with a port for ozone. invest in ozone its great stuff

castor
07/18/2006, 03:57 AM
I just got mine custom built by indyreefs.com He made it so it would fit in my 75g sump and under my stand with perfect clearance. He can build it for you however you need.

I have a thread on it and a vid showing it working.

I can give you his contact info if you would like.

dcombs44
07/18/2006, 06:29 AM
carlos, can the aquac be run outside a sump, or does it have to be in the water.

I looked at some of the specs and it looks much narrower than the euro, but i'm still not sure it would fit in my sump.

BLockamon
07/18/2006, 06:40 AM
The recirculating Octopus skimmers will fit your needs perfectly. I'd recommend the Recirc 150, but the Recirc 110 would probably be OK too as long as you don't go crazy with stocking.

www.octopusskimmer.com

carlosmh
07/18/2006, 07:37 AM
either or, realistically all skimmers can be ran in or out of the sump. But if you dont want to mod anything the aquac can most definately ran out of the sump. But they did design it so you can run it in the sump and not worry about the water level. Oh yeah, if I was you I wouldnt go run out and buy a octo**** skimmer, I would really get some feedback first. My neighbor bought it from the LFS, and brought it back in a week. It bubbles but, not good enough.

carlosmh
07/18/2006, 07:49 AM
honestly, i think venturi's are played out like airstone driven skimmers. Well at least in my book!!! I mean, the venturi gets clogged with salt drying. I can honestly say this was the only skimmer that I put in my setup, and it didnt have to be "broke-in".
As soon as I fired it up with the quietone i got some good bubble quality. By the end of the day I was emptying my collection cup. Its like my Euroreef was missing all this crap. And OMG, when i added ozone it got even better. That ozone made it skimmer a hell of a lot better. Oh yeah, if you dont get the aquac and you still get ozone, dont shoot it directly in the tank. I learned the hard way. Everything started turning white in my tank!!!! That $h!7 is like bleach!!!! so make sure if you dont have it running to your skimmer first you have your active carbon being the last process running before your water returns to the tank

Pat_13
07/18/2006, 08:33 AM
I just got a Coralife supper skimmer 220 and it pulled 1/2" of nasty from my 55G the first day. It is HOB too.

65G - $72
125G - $110
220G - $143
Found it Here
Dr Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13924&N=2004+113771)

uf-engineer
07/18/2006, 09:20 AM
AQUA C URCHIN OR REMORA PRO

RichConley
07/18/2006, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7764123#post7764123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carlosmh
either or, realistically all skimmers can be ran in or out of the sump. But if you dont want to mod anything the aquac can most definately ran out of the sump. But they did design it so you can run it in the sump and not worry about the water level. Oh yeah, if I was you I wouldnt go run out and buy a octo**** skimmer, I would really get some feedback first. My neighbor bought it from the LFS, and brought it back in a week. It bubbles but, not good enough.

do you know which model his was? I would assume there was something wrong with it.

I've got an octopus ps-3000. Its a $189 skimmer, and could easily handle a 180g tank.

I'd get the 6" recirc octopus. Its the best external skimmer for the money.

RichConley
07/18/2006, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7764633#post7764633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uf-engineer
AQUA C URCHIN OR REMORA PRO

I highly reccomend against the remora. Theyre hand built, and the build consistency is very questionable. I've seen them where the height of the injector varys by well over an inch. One would skim great and the other didnt even work. Buy a skimmer you know is going to work.

geckofrog
07/18/2006, 10:36 AM
This skinmate is from my Aquac Urchin (sump model)

Proof that Remora's work :)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/127547remora_skim_mate.jpg

carlosmh
07/18/2006, 06:17 PM
no, i was talkin about the aquac ev series spray injection. the octo**** is crappy

dcombs44
07/22/2006, 03:57 PM
Castor....Check PM....I would like that info

hangles
07/22/2006, 05:35 PM
you might want to check out asm.com .good skimmers at a reasonable price. I have the G3 on my 75g and the first day it was skimming like it had been there for weeks.
good luck !

Toomnymods
07/22/2006, 06:47 PM
My Aqua C skimmer works flawlessy and has been for over 2 years now..

RichConley
07/22/2006, 07:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7765026#post7765026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geckofrog

Gecko, did you read my post?

I'm glad you like yours, but thats only proof that YOURS works. Thats the whole problem, theres so much variability in the individual skimmers from them, that some work awesome, and some dont work at all.

robster
08/15/2006, 07:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7765026#post7765026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geckofrog

Do you have the Urchin or Urchin Pro? I wish I had gotten the Urchin Pro now. I see you like dry skimmate. I run mine very wet.