PDA

View Full Version : Rock Formation Photo

Michelle L
07/18/2006, 04:19 AM
Here is a pic of why I had questions about underwater epoxy...there were a lot of spaces we needed to fill and no easy way to do it. It took my husband and I quite a while but we finally finished our rock formations.

The tank is finally coming together. We will have the Tunzes in the tank probably sometime this week (been lazy) and we are still expecting two 250 watt MH bulbs for the center pendants that didn't arrive at the same time as the units. Other than that, it's all up and running thanks to the efforts of our mentor. :D

I guess that means it's time for me to get off of my duff and get serious about learning more about keeping corals.

I need to learn how to use my camera. The pics just don't look like the tank does in person. I can't capture the "shimmer!" Sorry the pic is small but I have no idea how to make it bigger.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1110647-17-2006_2_.jpg

brad23
07/18/2006, 07:37 AM
How much rock is that? You have enough light over the tank?

Michelle L
07/18/2006, 07:52 AM
I started with roughly 150 pounds of mediocre Fiji (it was sold to me by an individual as 125 pounds, but when we weighed the tubs full of rock it came out to quite a bit more but I'm not exactly sure how much) then we bought 88 pounds of Kaelini, and then we went back for about 20 more pounds. We also have some in our 55 that we may move over, but it will go in the sump. So it's about 250 pounds more or less.

Now the lights....gee I don't know. I'm not getting a suntan when I stand next to it yet.....although we still don't have the 250 watt bulbs running yet. Maybe then..... :p

Michelle L
07/18/2006, 08:29 AM
I have a correction. My husband pointed out that we bought closer to 30 pounds of Indo-Pacific last time we bought rock. I thought it was less. He reminded me of how much we spent and I think he's right. :eek:

He's shy. I keep asking him to create a name for himself and join the conversation!

Hi Vic! :D

tbonevic78
07/18/2006, 09:21 AM
Hey Michelle and the rest of the Central Illinois "Reefer" community! I finally decided to listen to my wife (Michelle L) and get in on some of these discussions.

Please be gentle with me! I'm a little new at this:wavehand:

gshriver
07/18/2006, 10:55 AM
I think you could use a few more lights....:lol:

Michelle L
07/18/2006, 11:07 AM
They don't make sunglasses small enough for my fish if I add any more lights!

A side comment about the rock for the others here...it doesn't look like 250 pounds (even I don't think it does) because the Fiji I had was stupid heavy. And the box of Kaelini had one rock that was over 20 pounds and a few others that were really big. That is something to consider when choosing rock (as I'm sure most here already know.)Just wanted to add that before someone says, "That doesn't look like that much...." :p

epon
07/18/2006, 12:07 PM
Aquascaping looks good, I like the overhang.

Michelle L
07/18/2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks...they both started out as overhangs until one was too heavy to support itself and fell over.

We just went with it and made it into an arch instead. :D

gshriver
07/20/2006, 03:51 PM
NEW PICS... NEW PICS...:D

Michelle L
07/20/2006, 04:06 PM
The pictures just come out so..... blah......

I really need to learn to use this camera and how to post bigger pics. It looks like 10 pounds of rock in a nano.

Guy, Vic said the bulbs that came today look great next to the 400's. I can't wait to get home and see them.

LegoZ81
07/21/2006, 06:38 AM
It's partially RC as your photo host.
How did the lights look?

Michelle L
07/21/2006, 11:52 AM
:thumbsup: