PDA

View Full Version : Bak Pak

mp5150
07/18/2006, 08:40 AM
Would a product like a bak pak make a huge difference in a 16 gallon tank, or is it too powerful. I am looking for something to help out with alge.

WaterKeeper
07/18/2006, 08:59 AM
No a CPR is fine if you have room to hang it. By removing protein you may limit algae growth. You may also be able to take off that Aquaclean filter and use it for running occasional carbon. The HOB Aquaclear can increase nitrates in the tank unless you clean the media at least weekly.

mp5150
07/18/2006, 09:07 AM
I am leaning to hetting one. I waterchange every week, clean the filter media, as well as us a phos pad. I am am just a bit disappointed with my progress.

WaterKeeper
07/18/2006, 09:08 AM
:thumbsup:

Agu
07/18/2006, 09:19 AM
I use a bakpak on a 10 gallon with about 5 gallons in the sump and it's not overkill.

Get it with the stock Rio pump (Rio 600 RVT) and order a second pump with a venturi. That way you're more likely to keep the venturi cleared if you can just swap them out and clean the other one at your convenience. At least that's how it works for me...

Skip the maxijet pump unless you enjoy having a loud skimmer.

ime,jmo,

Steven Pro
07/18/2006, 10:29 AM
You might want to look into the CPR combination protein skimmer/refugium. If it fits, it would be a nice addition.

m3rcury
07/18/2006, 12:01 PM
i hate to say this, but i would steer away from the bakpak. they are very problematic and i constantly had to adjust mine in order to prevent microbubbles. in addition, it did not do a very good job skimming. it was also very loud (i was suprised at how loud it was).

i paid $165 for mine plus the additional money to get the preskimmer and bubble trap. within 2 months i sold it on ebay and got a coralife ss for $100. i know tons of people have different opinions about skimmers and which are good, but i would definitely stay away from this one unless you are ready for a lot of frustration. i had trouble with this skimmer from day 1.

Kap212
07/18/2006, 12:20 PM
I currently have the Bak Pak +2r and LOVE it!!! Mine came with the MJ1200 , yes it has a tad bit of a hum but the fan on my lights is louder. Mine pulls 1/2 half of the collection cup in about 3 days running. Love it and would recommend it to anyone that asked. Just my $.02.

Greg

m3rcury
07/18/2006, 12:23 PM
awesome. good to get a feedback from others. maybe mine was just a bum unit. but, read some reviews about any skimmer you are going to buy BEFORE buying. none of them are perfect (at least none that i can afford).

WaterKeeper
07/18/2006, 01:00 PM
Well, dare I say it, the Remora is the other option. Let the battle begin. :D