PDA

View Full Version : Physical Tank Age Concern

ColdZero
07/18/2006, 08:56 AM
I finished college and I'm thinking of starting my reef up again now that I'm back home and can look after it again. I have a 75g glass aquarium that I used before I went to school. The tank itself has got to be around 7 years old and hasn't been filled with water for the last 4. Before I start filling it with water again, I'm concerned about the condition of the tank. The tank itself is physically fine, there aren't any chips or anything, the silicon looks fine and feels squishy still. Should I be concerned with the age of the tank and buy a new one or do you think I'll be fine?

RichConley
07/18/2006, 09:26 AM
My tank is an Oceanic 58 gallon, built in 1985.

Dont worry about it.

RichardinFL
07/18/2006, 09:55 AM
In front of me in my office is a 40 gallon tank that is 17 years old. It sat in the garage empty for 5 years and on a deck outside for 2 years after that exposed to the Florida heat and sun.

About a year ago I decided I wanted an aquarium in my office. I checked the silicone and it seemed ok. To be safe I filled the tank outside and let it sit for a few days (I'm flood paranoid). It held fine. It has been on the stand in the office filled since then. No problems at all.

Rich