PDA

View Full Version : This is what my Flame Angel likes to eat!

All Delight
07/18/2006, 09:11 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/AllDelight000/watermelon.jpg

Can you believe it! My Flame Angel likes to eat my most expensive coral in my tank. $200 for a dime size frag. I just got a frag of this Watermelon Chalice and he ate the green rim and started to pick on the red parts. He picks here and there on one of my red Micromussas but nothing damaging. I put the Watermelon in 3rd chamber of my nano filter but I can't leave it there for long.

I have other Echinophyilla frags and Oxypora frags, but he has an appetite for the Watermelon.

All I can do is look up at God and ask, WHY????

tigerarmy40
07/18/2006, 09:17 AM
sounds like yo need a fish trap!

All Delight
07/18/2006, 09:26 AM
Getting rid of my Flame is out of the question. I'd rather sell the frag. But.....I really want him to STOP.

All Delight
07/18/2006, 09:28 AM
Maybe I can do what my dad once did when our dog ate his shoe. He took the shoe and taped it to my dog for the rest of the day. My dog didn't eat his shoe anymore, he ate mine. LOL.

ReefNuggets
07/18/2006, 09:53 AM
that is too funny...great post

rstark33
07/18/2006, 10:05 AM
You can always try to train the fish...
Put the coral back and be ready with some sort of stick. When the angel comes to take a bite, poke at him with the stick. This will chase him off.
Do it for an hour or so and I bet he will never go back by that coral.
I've done it with clowns hosting in the wrong thing, frogspawn.

FishNutzBoi
07/18/2006, 01:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7764859#post7764859 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rstark33
Put the coral back and be ready with some sort of stick. When the angel comes to take a bite, poke at him with the stick. This will chase him off.

LOL sounds like a great idea! Maybe we can train all fish to be reefsafe that way :D

PufferFish87
07/18/2006, 02:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7764859#post7764859 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rstark33

I cant imagine that this would work... But I suppose it would be worth a try.. I'd just get rid of the flame $200 frag... $50 fish.. sounds like an easy choice to me! lol

hgbarwick
07/18/2006, 03:52 PM
The thing is that flames are totally unpredictable.

rstark33
07/18/2006, 04:39 PM
I mentioned I have not done this with a flame, but with a true percula clown to keep it out of a frogspawn.
It may or may not work, but it is worth a try IMO as I know others that have trained a fish this way as well.
Don't knock it until you try it!

Omar H
07/18/2006, 06:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7764583#post7764583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by All Delight

All I can do is look up at God and ask, WHY???? [/B]

Not God here, but the truth remains that we're taking live things out of their environment put them in a milkshake of a system and then hope that everything works the way we want it! The next thing is that we get frustated and label our livestock as good, bad, evil, etc.

I love flame angels, they're the reason why I got into saltwater...I just love my clams more:D

As said before (and many times before that), pigmy angels can be rather unpredictable.

Omar :strooper:

Angel*Fish
07/18/2006, 08:54 PM
What is that fish thinking?!!! :lol:

Sometimes, and only sometimes, an angel will pick on something initially and then lose interest - so FWIW, you probably should try putting it back before you actually sell it. You also might try relocating it to a different part of the tank.

My true opinion is that you should send that frag to me in the name of science so we can perform an experiment to see if my flame has the same reaction to it as yours ;)

Seriously mine ignores oxypora & echinophyllia types also - I'll now think twice before ordering a watermelon :eek1:

Good luck