PDA

View Full Version : no light for a week. is it OK ?

laurentb
07/18/2006, 01:48 PM
Hi every one,
i hade an accident with my light last week. i was working on my hood an the lights fall in the water. Every think is Ok but my light. i order a new fixture but won't be here until friday. is it ok to stay without light for a week ?

Reef_bones
07/18/2006, 01:51 PM
Have you tried calling a LFS in your area and asking if they have one you could borrow or rent? Just an idea....My tank has been 3 days without light before due to tripped breaker while I was out of town but any more than that and I would worry.

laurentb
07/18/2006, 01:59 PM
Good idea...Thanks

myakkareef
07/18/2006, 02:31 PM
During a hurricane our tank was without light for 9 days, ran pumps off of generator. Once we got poer back I slowly adjusted lights back on and the tank actually looked really good. I would say not to worry to much about it. No your corals will not open every day but they will open alittle now and again. JMHO but it should not be a problem.

bman2221
07/18/2006, 02:50 PM
I agree that it shouldn't be a problem. I have gone for 6 days without my lights on because the person watching my tank "forgot" about them while I was on vacation, needless to say everything was fine when I got back. It took everything a little longer to open than normal, but everything was fine.

laurentb
07/18/2006, 03:07 PM
ok, than. i had a 175w MH and ordered a 250W. how long should i wait to fire the total 442W ? specialy after one week off

myakkareef
07/19/2006, 05:10 PM
Go slow...Some people have used screen to shade while adjusting to new stronger lighting. Or if you can start higher then lower lights...

beaniebeagle
07/23/2006, 11:20 AM
ever been on vacation in the Carribean when the weather wasnt so great and it was overcast for a week

the corals seem to do just fine when that happens