PDA

View Full Version : Leather Coral Closed Up

AashK
07/18/2006, 02:11 PM
I had a leather coral for a couple yrs ... only last week it the polyps closed on the main coral. This coral has grown significantly over the yrs and some of the branches that have grown from the main coral is still open. I am stumped as to why some of the branches are open and the main leather is closed. i've tested my water chemistry:-

Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.2
CA : 330
Alk: 8.2
Mg : 1300

Theres been no major changes to my system, but i did get cyano, which i used Redslime to destroy. Not sure what is going on. Please help

reefshadow
07/18/2006, 04:57 PM
Your chemistry doesn't look too bad, you may want to bump up the calcium, and check for phosphate.

You could have some nastiness left over in your water from the dead cyano. I would run some carbon and do a few water changes. I think you are supposed to do a water change in the area of 40 percent after dosing maracyn anyway.

I have some very old soft corals and they do seem to go through periodic changes like you are describing with no apparent cause. As long as you don't see any of the skin sloughing off or necrotic areas I wouldn't worry too much.

Good luck

masterqaz
07/18/2006, 11:42 PM
leathers do things like that i find.

physicslord
07/19/2006, 12:49 AM
Sounds like typical leather behavior to me.

If you see it beginning to "shed" a layer then I would gently place a powerhead near it. They sometimes need a little help getting off the top layer of cells.