PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts to what two eels best to mix

newtotanks
07/18/2006, 02:50 PM
Hi people, im new but yet i do have a few years under my belt as the saying goes. I for right now only a 90 gallon tank and is promised a 125 gallon tank before this year is out. I often wonder in having a few eels in one tank and the more i think of it the more i like it.

Now im no idiot on this for there is much concerns of the eels that i would have in size or so. Now this next request is not meant too insult anyone here on what they know, but i like to hear from anyone who done things with eels for a very long time. Again im sorry to say that a long time means many years and not just a few years.

Under the present budget i have right now, i cannot afford a camera for i say this now for i been for few weeks now viewing a number of topics and people are always asking to see pictures.

In my 90 right now i a tusk fish, golden tail eel with a dwarf lionfish and with few small damsels fish.

So with time to select, i like the best possible two eel choices to go with for the 125 gallon tank, for i never as yet had mixed eel species before. Just the same would like any suggestions that isn`t so crazy and being that i time before this 125 is around, i will follow up as much research that i can on all suggestions.

The golden tail i have now for almost three years and other then their size as for types of fish im able to cut into strips, the eel is quite easy too manage.

So with all honesty, I really like to have a pair if at all possible that would feed on fresh fish or so for I not know if im asking for too much here my question, but out there with all the type of eels one can choose from, there must be a pair that i could mix in a 125, there has to be :(

It is the reason for my asking for one who has much background within morays for at one the local fish stores near me says that there are so many to even select from that they no idea on just how many types of eels there be, only that one the local fish stores said to me that if they were to keep info on all the eels, they would need a memory chip in their heads to hold such data.

Who is the best knowledgeable person here when it comes to eels?

Thanks in advance

Bobbie

46bfinGA
07/18/2006, 04:25 PM
i have a chainlink and a goldentail together.no problems so far ,its been about a year i guess.in a 120 with about 200lbs of rock and 250lbs of sand.

sushiman
07/18/2006, 06:47 PM
I have a zebra & snowflake in my 100gal w/o a problem. The happily share their PVC cave-system.

splateee
07/18/2006, 07:11 PM
We have 2 x Zebra Eels, a Chainlink and a Goldentail with no problems.

DragonMorayEels
07/18/2006, 11:38 PM
Hi bobbie and welcome to RC

Choices on any possible mix of species will also depend on what else your in plan to add as tank mates and with that I would need to know on any other type of fish you might thought to have in that tank.

For also on this 125 gal tank, are you planning to have a sump for a skimmer be the best way to go and a darn good one at that.

Im too let you know that I feed my eels once a week and they are a pair of dragon eels with a pair of goldentail morays and I house no main fish with these eels, just a number of damsels.

I need to know if you desire any moray species and I`ll make a further suggestion around that choice. I not however follow your idea on you not care for a sfe or so for feeding any marine eel is still time consuming no matter what the species. And if time later on with this might become rather difficult for you to offer these eels some TLC, then maybe you best to hold off on the idea until you can manage it. In other words bobbie, go with F/O once the 125 is setup and cycled.

Its great that with your goldentail that you manage very well in its best interest, but eels in general of all the eel species can become difficult in feeding for long periods of time and this is no exceptions for if the eel be a goldentail of other wise.

You need to set a goal to what you wish to accomplish by doing all in the best interest of that tanks inhabitants for you do however need to do regular weekly water changes. I need a decision from you on what you want to do here before I post you any suggestions and also know that many of the type of eel species I would or might suggest,. it not mean that you can get that eel for many lfs only get in some regular eel species like the sfe, jewel or the zebra to where as if you know the right lfs people and they have the good connections, you then can get in time any eel you desire to own.

So you take the first step in deciding what you like to do.

Buddy ><{{{{">

newtotanks
07/19/2006, 02:03 PM
Gosh man, on the snowflake eels or so i not figured it that feeding no matter which type of moray that it would still take time for i thought feeding simple fish or so that it be far easier. Now I not as yet selected my college of choice for i not know yet if ill be staying at the college or traveling from home.
So buddy, if it not be so much trouble, could you please offer me some suggestions?

If i can have any fish, it would be nice so please see what you might be able to suggest on any two eels with some fish and eels only suggestions. Why is it you have damsels in with your eels? For don`t the eel catch them easily?

I am figuring on a sump and at the stores they say that a 4-5" sand bed be great. Only the live rock could take a while in getting for i was told i be needing at least #150 and plus some. What would be the less amount of live rocks that i be able to manage this with?

It is funny you saying that most stores at most get in the snowflake eels or so for only when you said this that as far as i can think back, the stores here mostly only had those eels.
If the stores near me not manage to get the eels you might suggest to me, then where on line could i try and see if the eel be available?

I like to thank you for the time you giving me in this and that there be no fire hurry on your response to my questions and one last thing, as far as i know the golden tail eel i have is my favorite choice. I like to see some pictures of your eels if i may, when your the time. Again I thank you for whatever you can assist me with on my question.

DragonMorayEels
07/19/2006, 02:30 PM
I will see by this weekend on what suggestions I can offer you and its good to see that your education comes first :)

DragonMorayEels
07/19/2006, 08:58 PM
I had the time so I have it for you sooner :)

OK, now maybe you like to think about a mating pair of eels but first thing is, you not need a deep sand bed for in my eel tanks I have it not more then 2-2.5" which works great. and it is good that you will have a sump but skimmers i`m afraid is something to think about for there be less costly skimmers over others for I use the euroreef myself.

Now you already a goldentail and if you can learn its gender you might be able to get the other sex so that is one thought.

Goldentail moray (Pair)
Greyface moray (Pair)
Grey moray (Pair)
Geometric moray (Pair)

You will have a 125 and best choices are a pair if you ask me :rollface:
Buddy

stykthyn
07/20/2006, 12:26 AM
how can you tell the sex of goldentail moreys?

DragonMorayEels
07/20/2006, 12:31 AM
how can you tell the sex of goldentail moreys?

that can be a bit tricky for my male has darker forehead markings in comparison to the female in which has lighter color lines.

DragonMorayEels
07/20/2006, 12:32 AM
As well as a larger forehead with that :D

stykthyn
07/20/2006, 12:49 AM
hmm not a very sure fire way. I might best skip getting 2

T-T-Trigger
07/20/2006, 12:53 AM
Buddie/Bobbie you are one sick freaky dude with too much time on your hands. kinda creepy - and why do you waste people's time thinking they are really helping out someone 'new to tanks'?????

asking and answering your own questions... you should know your 'writing style' is unique enough to stand out.

Confooseld
07/23/2006, 07:39 PM
LOL I thought he was funny enough on grim. HAHAHAHAHA best thread ever.

DragonMorayEels
07/23/2006, 07:55 PM
There really nothing funny at all for I sent TT a pm that he is making a mistake for I have to guess that person in the "S" or "G" sites is a buddy of yours in which again he said that why this kid not answered me for not always the person responds or as well the person had second thoughts, who knows what the kid thought.

As I told your friend in the "G" site that their was another who not to long ago who not answered me and even there I not find it funny for it could be as well that person too had second thoughts.

I never kept count on whom post questions on eels and never return any answer to me on what I posted for them any number of suggestions or I had asked some questions on tank inhabitants before I can make them any suggestions. I wouldn't sweat it for if I can assist someone, I would. :)

Buddy ><{{{{">

Triterium
07/23/2006, 10:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7766669#post7766669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newtotanks

Who is the best knowledgeable person here when it comes to eels?

There is no question about it.... I am by far the most knowledeable when it comes to eels. You should definately get a ribbon eel and a green moray. They will be buddies in no time. Plus the ribbon eels are very hardy and usually live for 10+ years.

:bum:

Triterium
07/23/2006, 10:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7777118#post7777118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by T-T-Trigger
you should know your 'writing style' is unique enough to stand out.

Kind of reminds me of Yoda, which intelligence it does suggest.

:D

Confooseld
07/23/2006, 11:44 PM
Sure Buddy that's definetly not you.

DragonMorayEels
07/24/2006, 12:48 AM
If RC is going to allow Andy (AW2EOD) buddies to post nonsense, In trying to attack me here for Andy twice had caused me to quit one site because of his nastiness/rudeness and the staff allowed it to carry on and others join in on his side, but no one was as nasty in attitude as Andy.

I some 5 to 5.5 years ago thought of joining some sites to assist others when one had some eel question, for as well I never told anyone I knew it all. But because of people like Andy (AW2EOD) (AW2X3) I will call it quits altogether for none of that in which Andy had tried to do to me is worth trying to stay in any forums. For as well if RC not accepted me back I would had called it quits then so it wouldn't madder just the same. As well many people in many other sites had huge attitudes when they not like what one had to say which was why I would had not bothered if not for RC.

This one person that I tried to tell one on one about the many different eel species and never he shown any appreciations whatsoever for like that time he had an interest to buy a dragon moray and wanted I see the eel and tell him the gender.

For even there he not figure me correct and had a DNA done and he still learn that what I said that the eels gender was that of a female. Because of further more of his rudeness at one site that I am on blood pressure medications and being that my health comes first before dying for some people that I will never really know how appreciative most be that at the end it not matters but that I can look in trying to assist one as best I could without attacks which was another reason why I requested to be able to return to RC.

But if this return is short lived, it will not matter for I will be better off then to be were people like Andy (AW2EOD) is for I know you three are here in his stead.

For like Triterium and Confooseld as well as TT, you all know who Andy is and he has put you up to this so I will quit in ever trying to assist people again in any forums being that he wants me to now be attacked here at RC.

Triterium, now since your a smart mouth, you can assist fishboyy in his question for eels for his 90, I had his answer done and see this and I will not bother to paste it now for Im feeling so sick in how some people can act with out ever trying to be a person in giving the other some respect.

So being I will be in no forums I will not have further dealings with Andy (AW2EOD) or his buddies that he put up to this.
And I know your watching Andy and I know you were hoping my male dragon died on me as well I know your under a assume name here in RC, and that name is Northface and he will join again after that is removed.

I still will do all the studying and research on any eel updates I can because of my history with keeping moray eels as well as one such book that has much data on the eels in many other internal infections I not known about and many other things as well.

Now maybe Andy, you be happy that dragonmorayeels is no more. I doubt it but who cares, I don`t anymore for I quit because you are not worth it.

And Triterium, it wasn`t even two hours ago before you post that I tried in reasoning with Andy in instant message and he cuss like hell and soon enough after you post. So I quit and he can think whatever he likes. But I would love to have him in front of me just one time for all his rude behavior.