PDA

View Full Version : Smokers and Non-Smokers Id like PH readings!

Wiskey
07/18/2006, 02:51 PM
I am trying to figure out if smoking indoors has a significant effect on PH readings. I posted this here, because SPS keepers are most likely to have a more accurate method of measuring PH (Ph controllers/monitors etc,...)

Please include:
1. Are you a smoker who smokes in the room with the tank?
2. Your Ph values and how you got the reading (test kit, monitor etc,..).
3. If you do anything to raise the PH (Kalk, Ph raising 2 part etc,..)
4. If you have a Ca reactor.
5. If your house is well ventilated, (keep windows, doors etc open)

Thanks for your help,
Whiskey

prodman
07/18/2006, 03:22 PM
I have an easy solution. Quit smoking. That way you and your corals will be healthier. :cool:

Wiskey
07/18/2006, 03:43 PM
Hey, this is a study, don't mess with the variables :p

Ill start:
1. I smoke in the room with the tank
2. Ph ranges from 7.7 to 8.0, via a Ph controller
3. I use Kalk
4. No CA reactor
5. No, due to outside temps of 110

Whiskey

Billybeau1
07/18/2006, 03:49 PM
Well you knew that was coming Wiskey. :lol:

Me and my wife both smoke in the same room as the tank.
WHen house is opened up PH between 8.2 and 8.3
When house is closed up PH 7.8 to 7.9
Just use kalk when house is closed up
Measured by pH meter to the one-hundreth
No reactor.

Side note - we both work and no appreciable difference when we are home or not.

Although nicotene is bad for us and them, I doubt the actual smoking of cigarettes contributes much to elevated CO2 levels in the home. I suppose I could be wrong. :D

itz frank
07/18/2006, 04:05 PM
Save your money for your squares and buy corals.

old salty
07/18/2006, 04:48 PM
I am a smoker. At 34 years old, I actually won an underwater breath holding contest last weekend.

Anyways, my pH is about 8.3 using a test kit, I have a Ca reactor and limewater topoff. I keep the fuge lit 24/7 and the main lights 12 hours a day. House is closed up for the summer (A/C on 77 degrees). Not much of a pH drift at all. Certainly none that can be measured with a test kit.

Deuce67
07/18/2006, 04:57 PM
1. Both me and my wife smokes but rarely where the main tank is at. However I smoke a bit in the room where my sump and all the equiptment is at since my PC is in the same room.
2. Ph range from 7.9 to 8.3 via Ph controller with the probe calibrated every 3 months and replaced every year.
3. No kalk or any calcium additive.
4. I have a 2 chamber calcium reactor with the effluent dripping in a container with an airstone. With this method it raises my effluent from the second chamber of my CaRx from 6.9 to 7.8.
5. The window of the room where my sump is at is always open and the ceiling fan is on 24/7

murphreef
07/18/2006, 07:25 PM
1. i dont smoke nor do i let anyone smoke in my house tank is in the front room with all equipment

2. Ph ranges from 8.0 in the morning to 8.3 in the evening using a Pinpoint monitor

3. i add a lil reef builder for alk about once a week to help boost it up

4. i have a MRC-CR2 dual chambered reactor it runs between 6.5-6.7 outta the first chamber

5. house is mainly closed up until the evening hours

hope this helps!

DarkXerox
07/18/2006, 11:44 PM
Man, being in California so long made me kind of have a "shocked" response that people still smoke that much (the nicotine type) haha. I know of like one or two people TOPS in my dorm that smoke cigs. Anyone that is practically within the 25 foot radius gets harassed for breakin the law heh.

jdieck
07/18/2006, 11:51 PM
I think that whatever results you may get or imply will be skewed given that the CO2 from smoking is a lot less than CO2 from respiration and a lot less than cooking or baking.

secrest
07/19/2006, 01:28 AM
I smoke right next to my tank quite frequently. My ph is 8.3 using a salifert test kit. I dont do anything to raise or lower it, it's always been 8.3. I dont have a reactor and I normally dont open any windows in the summer, its way to hot here.

jeffnsa
07/19/2006, 05:53 AM
the biggest thing i noticed is that when the house is closed up the ph is lower due to co2 build up in the house.

gemxsps
07/19/2006, 05:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7766895#post7766895 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by prodman
I have an easy solution. Quit smoking. That way you and your corals will be healthier. :cool:

I Agree !!!

DrBDC
07/19/2006, 06:46 AM
I sit in front of my tank and smoke a cigar every night. By the way on this graph you can sure see the effect of cleaning an ORP probe!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/DrBDC/graph.jpg

DrBDC
07/19/2006, 06:57 AM
Maybe this one will be readable.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/DrBDC/704dbcac.jpg

Billybeau1
07/19/2006, 08:38 AM
Hey Doc, I can tell when you feed your fish :lol:

DrBDC
07/19/2006, 09:15 AM
No that's the probe cleaning I do once a week!

Billybeau1
07/19/2006, 09:48 AM
Not talking about the big dip, talking about the daily little dips.

Happens to me every night.

DrBDC
07/19/2006, 10:39 AM
OK, I was dense. duh

Shawnts106
07/19/2006, 12:40 PM
I have an easy solution. Quit smoking. That way you and your corals will be healthier.
AMEN!

I am a smoker. At 34 years old, I actually won an underwater breath holding contest last weekend.

Woop-de-doo
And the other contestants? smokers?
Like to see you do that in 10 years!

I find it funny that alot of people in this hobby smoke.
I suppose because of their stressfull lifestyles they smoke, and also keep fish because it is calming also...

Which is sad because people who smoke are not only hurting themselves but others around them, the environment, and any pets they have in their home.

I think Bush, or WHOEVER needs to BAN smokeing on this PLANET!

Smokers need to get a grip and find alternate HEALTHIER ways to deal with stress.

Covey
07/19/2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah like "dosing" vodka:lol:

Yes dear the tank is using like 3 bottles a week now. I just can't seem to get on top of that nitrate problem.

Wiskey
07/19/2006, 01:45 PM
Lets NOT use this thread to TRASH smokers!!!! We get enough of that CRAP every day from people that can't mind their own business.

I am simply trying to figure out if smoking indoors has a significant effect on PH. For the study I am spending a few days stepping outside to smoke, (in 110 deg heat) so far nothing conclusive.

Please keep your negative comments to yourself, they are not helping anyone.

Thanks,
Whiskey

dreaminmel
07/19/2006, 04:27 PM
My husband and I both smoke in the house. Windows are wide open all summer but closed up for half of the year when it gets cold.

pH swings from 7.9 to 8.2 regardless of the aeration or smoking.

FWIW, yes cigarettes are bad for us. But how are non-smokers getting cancer? Not from the smokers... there are more battles to fight to avoid cancer than just blaming smokers. Alcohol seems to be a bigger problem in our society when you include effects other than the obvious liver damage. They already tried taking that away once. Luckily for the vodka dosers it didn't work. :D

RobbyG
07/19/2006, 07:09 PM
Wiskey you have a very interesting experiment going, may I suggest a way to speed up getting the results.
I would get 2 sealed containers of mixed 8.2 SW with 1 gallon water in each, then pass smoke through one of them using an air pump and a Cigarette placed at the pumps intake, then take some measurements. Next put the pump on the other container minus the Cig and see if the pH is any different. It will at least show how much CO2 a Cig can put out and how it will change the pH on 1 gallon of water. Some varation of this experiment should yield clear results.

Shawnts106
07/20/2006, 12:36 PM
Yes dear the tank is using like 3 bottles a week now. I just can't seem to get on top of that nitrate problem

LMAO!

Lets NOT use this thread to TRASH smokers!!!! Agreed.

We get enough of that CRAP every day from people that can't mind their own business. Crap.. haha, funny... why do you think they do this to you? its because your also hurting them in a way.

FWIW, yes cigarettes are bad for us. But how are non-smokers getting cancer? Not from the smokers... there are more battles to fight to avoid cancer than just blaming smokers. Uh, while yes, nonsmokers get cancer... of course, not from smokeing, but from environmental effects... you also have to specify which cancer your refering to.. as far as I know cigs dont cause skin cancer, but I might be wrong, either way the sun would have more of an effect on that than anything else would.
Some people do get lung cancer from second hand smoke.. if they are around it alot. this is also a factor.

For the study I am spending a few days stepping outside to smoke, (in 110 deg heat) so far nothing conclusive. Im sorry I have to point this out to non smokers
" in 110 deg heat " .. as if we are suppose to "pitty the smoker"

HEY, its YOUR CHOICE to smoke.. just think, if you were NOT addicted to cancer sticks you wouldnt have to fry outside for your fix.

just a thought.

amuruges
07/20/2006, 12:40 PM
I don't know about smoking and not smoking, but I can tell you this, my upstair tank pH ranges between 8.0-8.3 and my tank in the basement ranges between 7.7-8.0, I haven't checked it yet maybe my fish smoke at night....

SmokeFish
07/20/2006, 12:47 PM
I'm still in my research phase and haven't started up my tank yet, but that's something I've been thinking of. I was wondering if smoking in the room would affect the tank at all as I plan on spending many hours sitting in front of my tank smoking... Some people are 2 fisted drinkers, I'm a 2 fisted smoker... ;0)

jdieck
07/20/2006, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7779867#post7779867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by amuruges
I don't know about smoking and not smoking, but I can tell you this, my upstair tank pH ranges between 8.0-8.3 and my tank in the basement ranges between 7.7-8.0, I haven't checked it yet maybe my fish smoke at night....
Two comments:
CO2 is heavier than air so it might tend to concentrate at the lower levels.
Second, if you have a gas or oil based water heater in the basement it might be the source of extra CO2, check that you have proper vent to the outside (most indoor units must have a vent fan ducted to the outside)
In winter check the same thing if you have a gas or oil heating unit. In addition it might be worth while to install forced ventilation in your basement.

amuruges
07/20/2006, 05:44 PM
jdieck, thank for the input, Yes I have a exhaust fan installed. but I think you are right it gets worse in winter cause I have a gas heater and furnace.

revance
07/28/2006, 01:55 PM
This survey really isn't going to prove or disprove anything.

There are too many variables and no way to have a control.

If you want it to be a little bit more accurate, you should at least ask what their alkalinity is too. From that information, you can roughly guess what the co2 levels in the tank are.