PDA

View Full Version : How My Tanks Survived a 22 Hour Power Outage

CrazyLionfish
07/18/2006, 07:24 PM
10:30 PM July 17th, 2006
Power Outage

I thought it would be back on in an hour or so (as usual) but it turned out I was wrong. The power was to remain off until 8:00 PM July 18th, 2006.

Well, earlier in the day (July 17th) I had a 103 degree fever after coming back from vacation, wasn't fun. At first, I paniced about the fish tank, wasn't sure what I was going to do at 10:30 at night. I got some plastic drinking cups and every hour or so, I would stir the water heavily and make as many bubbles and surface agitation as possible. I finally fell asleep even though it was very hot outside (95 degrees) and inside (about 80) and woke up at 5:30 AM, power still off, very crappy, stirred the tank again. Fell asleep, woke up at 8:30 AM stirred the tank again. Right when I woke up I drove to Home Depot and bought a paint stirrer that could be put into my drill, much easier to oxygenate the water and much more efficient, I used this on each tank about every 30-45 minutes. I also bought (after looking and calling many stores) 3 battery operated air pumps. The pumps were sufficient to oxygenate my 12 gallon and 40 gallon for many hours, but the 1 air pump was not enough for my 75 gallon so I continued the use of the paint stirrer. I got these excellent suggestions from the Marine Fish and Reef 2006 Annual magazine from the article "Lost Power? Avoid a Wipeout!" he had the exact same drill as me as well. Thankfully the temperature of my tanks never rose above 80 degrees so I didn't have to worry about that.

As of right now, 20 minutes after the power is back on, all fish are alive, as are all coral, as is my anemone. My yellow tang is a little beaten up (but was in somewhat bad shape before the outtage), guess my triggers decided to mess with her while the power was off, I didn't get a chance to feed them during those 22 hours (didn't want to create more waste) so they were hungry as well.

Just a little notice for anyone who ever has a long power outtage, these cheap tools are incredibly useful and can keep your fish alive for 22 hours (probably more!)

It definetly made me appreciate electricity a lot more.

thor32766
07/18/2006, 07:37 PM
hey thanks for sharing. anything to help people out is great

Mishap
07/18/2006, 07:38 PM
Glad to hear you didn't lose anything. That article saved me in a bind too! I've got my emergency power outage kit.

One thing I found is they have battery operated air pumps that turn on when your power goes out. 10-20 bucks but well worth it.

CrazyLionfish
07/18/2006, 07:46 PM
Mine were like $14 each for 2 of them and the other the place gave away for free because it was missing some parts, but worked fine. Just have a little on/off switch on them.

sherm71tank
07/18/2006, 07:59 PM
Sounds like you pets are in good hands! We lose power around here all the time in the winter months, sometimes for several days. I have a large battery backup that can run my return pump for about 12 hours and a generator for the house. As well as a 2000 watt inverter that pluge into the car for emergencies. Good grief!

RBU1
07/19/2006, 04:47 AM
Another good story. Just another reason you should purchase a generator!!!!!

compulou
07/19/2006, 06:03 AM
Great info but 22 hours isn't much to be without power in our area. At least I've been averaging about 2 weeks without power the last two Hurricane seasons. For me at least means NO GENERATOR, NO TANK. So now I have a Generac Propane Generator that will run my entire house!!!

old salty
07/19/2006, 06:51 AM
You are pretty lucky. My tank began dying at the 12 hour mark. I purchased 3 battery powered air pumps and managed to keep what was still alive.....alive. My flame angel was pulled from the tank (I used 2 fingers to get it out) and put in a bucket. I just kept swirling the water until it came around - he OWES me!!

I now have a 3500 watt generator in the garage as I don't intend to go through that again.

pnosko
07/19/2006, 07:13 AM
Isn't the shaft on these paint stirrers made of aluminum? Would it be an issue? I suppose it isn't in the tank for long.

CrazyLionfish
07/19/2006, 09:12 AM
It might be aluminum, not 100% sure. And I was considering a generator (well trying to convince my parents to get one, and how much are those on average for one that would power the whole house?) but our power rarely goes out for more then an hour a few times a year, we just had like an hour of pure lightening and on and off rain and hail and tons of trees were flipped over. I heard a guy in a house nearby me had a tree fall right into his living room. The radio said there was about 34,000 houses without power, most people got theirs back around 6 AM - 9 AM the next morning and then there was around 6,600 left (including mine). I heard the actual city of chicago had tons of outtages too.

LargeAngels
07/19/2006, 09:42 AM
I was out from 11:30 PM Monday until yesterday at 2:30 PM. Fired up the generator an hour after power didn't come on. The generator has more than paid for itself just the few times that power has been out close to a day. For short durations there is a UPS for a couple of small pumps.

wpar
07/19/2006, 10:23 AM
About a month ago my area experienced a short power outage while I was at work - I work 24 hour shifts. With Murphy's Law being in effect, my wife was also out of town. As a result of the GFCI I have, when the power came back on, nothing restarted. By the time I got home the next morning, I had lost a coral beauty, a royal gramma, a coral banded shrimp and a cleaner shrimp that had been eating out of my hand. I was able to save a 4" yellow tang, a small yellow-tailed damsel and my two clowns. Basically, as a result of my lack of preparedness/negligence, these creatures are dead. PLEASE, do yourself and your tank inhabitants a favor and be prepared.

Bill

itstheantitang
07/19/2006, 10:24 AM
I read somewhere, I think reefkeeping or FAMA, that you could use a wooden spoon in your drill for some current.

dougie
07/20/2006, 05:37 AM
:thumbsup:

CrazyLionfish
07/20/2006, 08:44 AM
Update: As of Wednesday all fish/coral/anemone still alive.

edwar050
07/20/2006, 12:17 PM
I would love a generator but like many others live in an apartment. I have a backup plan that involves 3 manual battery operated air pumps and a pump that you could manually use to blow up an air matress, all you need to do is attach a hose to the end which for mine is standard 1/2 tubing.

edwar050
07/20/2006, 12:18 PM
I would love a generator but like many others live in an apartment. I have a backup plan that involves 3 manual battery operated air pumps and a pump that you could manually use to blow up an air matress, all you need to do is attach a hose to the end which for mine is standard 1/2 tubing.

Tim the Stick
07/27/2006, 11:51 PM
Strange but true:

We recently had a 24 plus hour power outage here in Detroit as well. My dad (who has cancer) has a "spare" medical grade oxygen tank. After checking with everyone FAR in advance to the outage, I found that medical grade O2 is basicly a mild nitrous oxide/air blend that contains NO harmful fillers (like sulfer etc) and when I asked his doctor what he thought of using the regulated tank as an "emergency saltwater fish survival tool", he walked me over to his pump closet where he showed me his air stones, splitters, and a medical grade O2 bottle on a stand. His reply, "What do you think I use if the power goes out?" By the way, he's got a 300 gallon reef in his office, and so does my chiropractor! If both of them have medical grade O2 as backups, I figured it's the way to go.

So, sure enough, bad T-storm, power out, in came the O2 bottle and the air stones. To circulate, I picked up a simple AA battery opperated hang on the side type low velocity powerhead at my local LFS. I hung it, hit the on switch, set the O2 regulator to 1 (lowest setting), walked away. 24 hours later, no losses, tank didn't notice anything was wrong at all. I also put a mirror up in the bay window and directed some ambient light into the room during the daylight hours, more than enough to suffice for the short term.

If anyone has access to medical O2, it's recommended for use as an emergency backup by those who prescribe it!

Tim

Mike.B
07/28/2006, 03:26 AM
How do you know how big of a generator to buy?

Billybeau1
07/29/2006, 12:14 PM
Just add up all the watts u want to run off of it and bump it up a little for safety.

I bought a 5500 watt. Enough to run my tank, refrigerator, sump pump and television.

BTW - nice story. :)

nccmike
07/29/2006, 03:20 PM
after the 3 hurricanes came through here last year I purchased a generator. But before I had it I lost power for about 36 hours and my 110 survived with me just taking a plastic pitcher, filling it up with tank water and pouring it back in from about 2 foot above.

Did this every couple of hours and had no die off.
Each time i would do about 10 pitchers full.

Steve01
07/29/2006, 09:23 PM
I've been thinking about getting an uninterruptable power supply, the kind people use for computers. Living in a condo complex or apartment building means no generator option for me. Has anyone ever tried that? I'm wondering how long something like that would run a tank only. Maybe you could just put the essential equipment on the UPS, like the return pump and maybe the heater.

sherm71tank
07/29/2006, 09:29 PM
I use a large Smart UPS for my return pump. It works great. I advise the Smart series because they produce true sinewaves. I've had mine for years and it never fails to work.

Scuba_Dave
07/30/2006, 05:56 PM
I have (8) of the battery back up bubblers, 2 UPS and a 5500w Generator. Planning on a gas fired auto start generator w/auto-switch
I figure my small Tunze (15w) could run for quite a while ogg the UPS - turning it off & on every now & then
The biggest problem in the case of a power failure can be buying batteries

newreefbishop
07/30/2006, 06:09 PM
I also live in South Florida, and this has been a concern to say the least. My wife made the decision to buy a generator if anything happens. In the mean time im looking at getting some ups

latino277
07/30/2006, 07:32 PM
WOW. Good job MaTT...