PDA

View Full Version : Feed Pellet Food to coral???

rottface4
07/19/2006, 07:57 AM
I usually don't feed pellet food to my fish or corals for that matter. But I tried somethis morning and a few pellets landed on a few corals (ricordia, plate coral, hammer coral). I noticed that the plate coral and the ricordia eat the pellets, the hammer rejected them. So curious me I looked at the ingredients of pellets (brand = new life spectrum marine fish formula) and this is what it listed "krill meal, fish meal, wheat flour, amino acids, algae meal, soybean meal, fish oil, beta carotene, spirulina, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated animal-sterol (D3), vitamon B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, niacin, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, hydrochloride, Thymain, biotin, DL Alphatocopherol (E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (C), Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine, dihdroiodide, Ethoxyquin (preservative) now some of the main ingredients seem like they could be benefical for the corals (the meater parts), but what about some of the latter things like Copper Sulfate, or xxx chlorides, or the metal sulfates ???? Could these possible be harmful???

dougie
07/20/2006, 05:45 AM
not sure myself , but an excellent and interesting question.

my corals have had pellets b4, and didnt notice any change. i feed "spectrum THERA+A by newlife" .

Cheers

Blown 346
07/20/2006, 07:24 AM
If thy were harmful it wouldnt be in the food in my opinion. I have also had a few corals catch some of the very same pellets you feed. My corals have been fine, I have done this for years. Otherwise I feed my LPS rics pieces of Freeze Dried Krill.

rottface4
07/20/2006, 08:08 AM
How is the freeze dried krill as far as nutrional quiality is concerned? I know mysis shrimp, and silversliders are suppose to be good. But haven't heard anything about the krill.