PDA

View Full Version : How did you install your penductors?

slovan
07/20/2006, 06:07 AM
I was looking to add some penductors to my returns. What have you found to be the cleanest way to install them to the returns? Did you use pvc, spa flex hose or loc-line? Also which penductor did you use, the male or female pipe thread?

samsfishnchips
07/20/2006, 07:09 AM
hi,

here is how I did mine,

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/60535Picture_050.jpg

female penductor - got it at myreefcreations.com

these got it at savko.com
loc-line union
male thread loc-line

have a nice day,

sam

slovan
07/20/2006, 08:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7777788#post7777788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nunez1980
hi,

here is how I did mine,

female penductor - got it at myreefcreations.com

these got it at savko.com
loc-line union
male thread loc-line

Thanks for the reply Sam. I have another question for you. For the loc-line, did you go from a 3/4" male adapter loc-line to a loc-line hose to another 3/4" male adapter and then the female penductor? I'm just trying to figure out what I need to order. Thanks!

samsfishnchips
07/20/2006, 03:28 PM
slovan,

oh, and the loc-lion union, its actually called by the company Double Socket

all parts are 3/4", I used 1" pvc and reduce at the end to 3/4" female socket end

ok lets see, if you want to connect to the pvc line with 3/4" pvc female end you will need

2 - 3/4" Loc-Line Male Adapters:
1 - 3/4" Loc-Line Double Socket

and a two pieces of any lenght of loc-line 3/4" segments

so it will go,

A - 3/4" female pvc threaded
B - 3/4" Loc-Line Male Adapters:
C - 3/4" Loc-Line Double Socket
D - 3/4" Loc-Line Segment
E - penductor

A --> B --> D --> C --> D --> B --> E

hope that made sense, let me know if you need more pictures,

sam

slovan
07/20/2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks for your help Sam! :) I think that'll get me what I need to install them.

Roland Jacques
07/20/2006, 05:59 PM
the anti siphon is the hard part.

a check valve vent is the ticket.

what size pump and how many penductors are you going to use?

samsfishnchips
07/20/2006, 08:51 PM
slovan,

no problem, glad I could be of help,

yourfishman,

I know whats a "check valve", but what is a "check valve vent"

as for siphon I found it to be the easiest part, getting the parts was the hard part, specially the "Double Socket" not many places carry them,

for anti-siphon, just made a small hole on one of the pieces just slightly under water, only concern is getting clog with algae, which can be taken care off by pointing the hole where it won't get light, works like a charm, haven't have a problem in more than a year, and know some without problems for longer, but I good idea would be to check and clean the hole if it needs it just to play it safe,

a "check valve" in my opinion would be a bad idea, penductor needs all the pressure you can throw at it, and putting a "check valve" would only hinder performance for no reason, just IMO,

good luck,

sam

slovan
07/20/2006, 09:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7782017#post7782017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yourfishman
what size pump and how many penductors are you going to use?
I was thinking about running a Sequence Tarpon or Wahoo using a penductor on each return. They are both pressure rated pumps and put out 1440gph & 1550gph respectively. Any recommended pumps or how many penductors I should run? TIA. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7783081#post7783081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nunez1980
for anti-siphon, just made a small hole on one of the pieces just slightly under water, only concern is getting clog with algae, which can be taken care off by pointing the hole where it won't get light, works like a charm, haven't have a problem in more than a year, and know some without problems for longer, but I good idea would be to check and clean the hole if it needs it just to play it safe
Thanks again for your input Sam. :) How big of a hole did you drill in the loc-line to break the siphon? I'm just wondering how big I can go before I start affecting performance.

Roland Jacques
07/20/2006, 09:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7783081#post7783081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nunez1980
slovan,

no problem, glad I could be of help,

yourfishman,

I know whats a "check valve", but what is a "check valve vent"

as for siphon I found it to be the easiest part, getting the parts was the hard part, specially the "Double Socket" not many places carry them,

for anti-siphon, just made a small hole on one of the pieces just slightly under water, only concern is getting clog with algae, which can be taken care off by pointing the hole where it won't get light, works like a charm, haven't have a problem in more than a year, and know some without problems for longer, but I good idea would be to check and clean the hole if it needs it just to play it safe,

a "check valve" in my opinion would be a bad idea, penductor needs all the pressure you can throw at it, and putting a "check valve" would only hinder performance for no reason, just IMO,

good luck,

sam

The anti siphon drilled holes lose a some pressure and can suck air into it own stream with the higher backpressure.

A check valve inline loses some pressure also. But most don’t work that good ether.

A "check valve vent" does not lose any pressure at all. Basically it a check valve (flapper type) teed into your pressure line.
When the line is pressurized it is closed,
When the power shuts off the check valve is open letting air into the line and breaking the siphon.
(Plumb it in a way that if any water was to ever come out of It., that it would be directed into the overflow box or sump)

Best thing it also works instantly no siphoning at all!!!

Does this make since to you? I should post a photo

Roland Jacques
07/20/2006, 09:30 PM
the wahoo could run 3 strong and 4 preety dran good. minimize your plumbing resrictions. dont use 90s use two 45s instead.

samsfishnchips
07/21/2006, 12:01 AM
yourfishman,

thx for the info,

slovan,

I use the tile cutting rotozip drill, which we use to drill holes in glass, I believe its about 1/8"

sam

55Reef
07/21/2006, 09:42 AM
Hey Everyone,

I don't mean to hijack this thread. But, Since we are on the subject of Locline.:D

What's the best way to "snap" and "unsnap" the locline?
Do you have to use the tool? Or just old fashioned arm strength?

Thanks!

samsfishnchips
07/21/2006, 10:19 AM
55Reef,

well I just brute force :D

but if you are feeling weak, them the tool makes life easier, specially on tight spots, ect,

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/tools/parts/21.jpg

sam