View Full Version : 1" Unions - not all the same?

07/20/2006, 07:40 AM
I bought a chiller with unions (male part? - not the part that turns) glued on the input and output.

The union on the output has a 2" outer diameter, and I can't find a union that fits it. This is a schedule 80, 1" diameter union.

The union on the input side is schedule 80, has a 2.25" outer diameter and all three 1" unions that I've bought at different stores fit, even the Schedule 40.

Does anyone know what kind of (or Brand Name) union I should get in order to mate it with the chiller's output ?

Thanks for your help.

07/20/2006, 08:06 AM
What brand of chiller and what brand of union is on it now? Usually unions have some identifying marks on them. Spears is probably the biggest PVC manufacturer but there are others.

07/20/2006, 08:38 AM
The chiller is an old aquanetics. But I believe the unions were glued in by the original owner. The unions are not original equipment.

I can't really see any markings on the union.

07/20/2006, 08:56 AM
If you cut them off do you have enough pipe to add new ones?? Or can you remove them (threaded into something??).

Its possible these are unique sized threaded unions and might be difficult if not impossible to hook up to.

07/20/2006, 10:38 AM
Are the chiller coils PVC? It should be metal so there has to be a point where a PVC threaded nipple or adapter screws into the metallic part? If not how does it make the transition?

07/20/2006, 11:03 AM
I don't really want to remove the union - yet. I just bought the chiller from a local reefer and I want to test it. I plan on returning it if it does not chill. So, I don't want to modify anything just yet.

I'll elevate the chiller and let the output drain in a tub if I can't find the union.

Looking through the Spears website, there are two kinds of unions. "Old Style" and "2000". The 2000 has a smaller diameter than the old style. I think this is the union I need, but it's also $20. I'll try another hardware store and see if I can find a lesser priced "2000" union.

07/20/2006, 01:53 PM
Find a sprinkler or irrigation supply store like Ewing Supply, they have a much better selection than a HD or Lowes.