PDA

View Full Version : Does egg-crate leach PO4?

Ciarán
07/20/2006, 06:47 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick question about using egg-crate. I am going to build a few LR "shelves" in my 20G to house one or two SPS colonies so that they are right in the direct stream of a powerhead. I am thinking about making the support frame for these shelves out of egg-crate as it would be easiest and ideal for the purpose. However i have heard people referring to an apparent seeping of phosphate from fresh eggcrate into system water. Is this correct? If so, would it help to "cure" the egg-crate for a while in salt water until all detectable phosphate leechates have been eliminated?

Thanks,
Ciaran.

Boomer
07/20/2006, 11:44 PM
Where would the phosphate come from there is none in plastic ? I have heard these stories before and do not buy them. Unless it was a container that had some type of phosphate in it. I would suggest to wash it with vinegar or just RO/DI water to remove any potential residues. Some plastics may have a residue or coating on them from the manufacturing process.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/21/2006, 05:39 AM
I doubt it is a source of significant phosphate. Washing it before use is always a good idea. :)

RicksReefs
07/21/2006, 06:57 AM
it's my understanding that they use a phosphate containing compound as a releasing agent from the mold. dunno. I do know that fresh eggcrate is an algae magnet for a few weeks until the coraline starts kicking in.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/21/2006, 12:51 PM
Such organophosphate compounds are sometimes used as mold release agents. That's one of the reason to wash it first. But I don't think it is enough to add much to the water, compared to a single fish food feeding.

Boomer
07/21/2006, 01:35 PM
Bad choice of words :)

organophosphate = Nerve Agents