PDA

View Full Version : Holy Heat Wave Batman!

Krustylove
07/21/2006, 12:38 PM
After breaking down and selling my 29gal seahorse set-up w/sump I relocated my horse to a 24 gallon JBJ Nano cube and have since been watching the heat rise…the tank temp is 86 degrees with lights on and 83 when they are off!!! I have unplugged the heater and am praying to every god I know that the seahorse survives all of this and does not perish. Any suggestions on how to cool this heat trap down? Their should be a warning label on these things.

Break122704
07/21/2006, 12:48 PM
I think nano cube sells a chiller for you thank, That would be a wise investment, also you have to remember you have a closed canopy

Chiller, i think it the way to go

angelsj247
07/21/2006, 01:25 PM
buy some fans and point them toward the top of the tank, or get some small ones and clip the on the top of the tank.
you can also freeze some water bottles and just let one float in there.

chocolateblnt
07/21/2006, 01:42 PM
Word! ... I'm up in Nor*CAL and we are expecting 100 + degree weather this weekend... my light's will be off most of this weekend and I've already prepared frozen bottled water to drop in the tank just in case! Use as much evaporation as you can for cooling and even fans to blow air across the surface water!

Krustylove
07/21/2006, 02:55 PM
Cool, thanks guys. I just got a chiller for my 100 gallon and my eyes were seeing double when I opened this months electric bill!$?!$? Im in So Cal and it has been in the mid 90's-but with humidity-thats strange for around here? Anyways, I will get some water bottles chillin and check on mini chillers

chocolateblnt
07/21/2006, 04:52 PM
I'm on the same boat Krusty ... I can't afford a $300 chiller at the moment! Frozen water bottles do the trick ... usually 1 bottle for .5 - 1 degree and they don't last very long so you have to have more ready.

DarkXerox
07/22/2006, 02:06 AM
Yeah get a big fan on the tank, it does wonders. But jeez today I was dying once I left the lab. Hope everyone's tanks make it through this heat wave!

gfk
07/22/2006, 09:19 AM
mine is ready for the move into my new drilled 29 gallon but i dont want to touch it until the heat wave is over. My house is 100 years old and has no AC, my tank got up to the high 80s last go around of this heat wave.

the one stalk of xenia i didnt get rid of melted to the rock it was on, but grew back within a couple of days. all my corals survived it so far, but definately were not happy.

chocolateblnt
07/22/2006, 12:06 PM
Woke up this morning and it was 82.8 without the MH on :eek1: I have an entire freezer filled with water bottles to stop this non-sense! How was your tank temp Dark?!?!

DarkXerox
07/22/2006, 12:40 PM
Oh man, I got up and mine was almost 84 with no light on (just the little fuge flourescent. WOW, this isn't arizona!!!!

I just tossed in an icepack though and turned on the big fan. But jeez, this sucks haha.

chocolateblnt
07/22/2006, 01:27 PM
Really?!?! Yea I am hella anal about my temp going past 83! Sh!t I hope we survive! :lol2:

gfk
07/22/2006, 02:32 PM
its gonna be 105 today, i live 5 blocks from the water, no breeze, ***

its 85 in my room where i just moved my tank to

Agu
07/22/2006, 03:56 PM
Add a fan to your hood,

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/10007fan_hood.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/10007fan_hood1.jpg

From this thread,

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=7170803#post7170803

Good luck all.................

Krustylove
07/22/2006, 04:57 PM
Sweet...but I already busted the lid -duct tape to the rescue. I will call it "White trash reefing." Anyways the cold packs are helping bring the temp down but are ssssllloooowwww to work-all of my fish look O.K. so far-no signs of disease. Keep your fingers crossed! It’s off to the computer supply store for me...Just out of curiosity, what does your tank temp run at with this handy little fan mounted on the lid? Very clever solution

btw, Coulthard cant drive LOL. :P

DarkXerox
07/23/2006, 12:25 AM
haha its Kimi, Coulthard is on Red Bull now.

But yeah I ice packed the tank all day. Make sure you use a plastic ziplock bag to hold the icepack so that it keeps any leakage from getting into the tank (one of mine had a leak).

Krustylove
07/23/2006, 08:42 AM
I know it was a joke; if Coulthard could drive they would still be teammates. LOL. Anyways the cool packs are always in a zip-I was counting how much $ would be lost if one of them leaked and decided not to risk it. I love the view I get with my Nano-I found a strange 8" long worm lurking around after lights out-and this is after a dose of hydrox to kill bristol worms (they are bad for seahorses as they try to eat them and get bit or choke) so I will be doing some late night fishing. The fun never ends with this hobby. And my icecap system on my 100 gallon just took a sh@t-I was standing next to the tank and though my neighborhood was having a rolling black out!!! Like I said, the fun never ends.