PDA

View Full Version : Palythoa Grandis Fragging?

jhornik
07/21/2006, 02:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a nice colony of palythoa grandis that is budding pretty nicelly and would like to get some frags from it but am affraid I might hurt the colony. Anyone know how to safelly frag palythoa grandis w/o breaking apart the rock?

Thanks,

Josh

twon8
07/21/2006, 02:26 PM
i have placed a small rock on top of them, within a week they will have grown onto it, and you can cut any connnections to the larger colony

alexinfla
07/21/2006, 04:09 PM
If you are talking about the true grandis (HUGE polyps) from the Caribbean, definitely exercise caution while fragging. They are some of the more severe when it comes to palytoxin...so cover hands and eyes. Just a word of caution, don't mean to scare you from the frag! :)

jhornik
07/24/2006, 10:18 AM
Oh don't you worry, I will definatelly be carefull when fragging these!!! I don't know if it was from these polyps or another type in my tank but I had a serious case of paly poisoning when I moved my tank over the winter! I didn't even know about paly poisoning until after it happened. Some of the worst pain I've ever been in.....I was out for 3-4 days! Yes, they are the true palythoa grandis, each polyp is aboout the size of a half dollar.

twon8
07/24/2006, 10:28 AM
i think if you really got palytoxin in your system you would have died; there are a lot of bacteria in our tanks, and those can easily make one sick

jhornik
07/28/2006, 10:09 AM
Well I now know of others who have gotten palytoxin and were just really sick for a couple of days, but overall ok. I went to the doctor cause I was in so much pain and he took blood and said I must have ingested some sort of toxin, but it wasn't to lethal proportions and to just sit it out. This is before I knew what palytoxin was and had no idea what kind of toxin he could have been talking bout till now!

limestro
07/28/2006, 10:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7787444#post7787444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jhornik
Hi Everyone,

I have a nice colony of palythoa grandis that is budding pretty nicelly and would like to get some frags from it but am affraid I might hurt the colony. Anyone know how to safelly frag palythoa grandis w/o breaking apart the rock?

Thanks,

Josh

Get a fresh razor blade and slice of the polyps as close to the base as possible. You can then Krazy glue them on to the surface of a plug or rock. The worst experience I have had as far as toxins go and when I get are these little red bumps that look and feel like mosquito bites, but burn and itch like crazy. I frag with my bare hands, but I don't advise it. Good luck.

~Mike