PDA

View Full Version : Water Level in Sump INcreasing - Check My Math

FSOL
07/22/2006, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure why this is happening, but the water level in my sump is rising daily. I used to think it's my return pumps. Maybe they could be clogged up or something, but if they were not pumping water back to the tank fast enough, wouldn't this cause the water level in the tank to come down (hence causing water level in sump to go up?).
I checked and water level in tank is always the same.

Could dripping kalkwasser do this? I only drip about 2.5 gallon/day and my sump's return section area is only about 30" long by 15" wide.

So see if my math is right. 30"x15" is almost 2900cm squared. So dripping almost 3000cm squared (which is 3 liters) will raise the height of my return section water by 1cm, so 3.89liters, which is one gallon, will raise it by 1.3cm, which is almost half an inch. So if one gallon raises it half an inch, then 2.5 gallons will raise it by 1.25 inches. So in about a span of a week this is about 9 inches. Of course I"m not taking evaporation into account. So taking about half of my dripped water evaporating, that's about 4.5" of water rise per week.

So what can I do about this? Should I let it just rise? How can I drip less water while keeping kalkwasser demand satisfied. I am not sure how concentrated I can make the kalk solution w/out precipitating everything.

Ereefic
07/22/2006, 11:02 AM
If your dripping more than your evaporating, the level will rise. Try and match your top off (kalk) to what is actually evaporating. If it is not enough kalk, then you'll need to evaporate more.

FSOL
07/22/2006, 11:24 AM
The top of my tank is open and exposed to MH bulbs, so it gets enough evaporation, plus my sump is not in my house. It's in the back yard and open to ambient air, which is as max evap as I can get.

Ereefic
07/22/2006, 11:28 AM
I would get an auto-top off for you kalk additions, that way you know it's only adding what is being evaporated. Does your systems evaporation vary day to day with the way your sump is?

reefshadow
07/22/2006, 05:47 PM
If the level in the display is constant you have to be topping off too much.

You may want to look into dosing vinegar with the kalk if you aren't keeping up with demand. Research this carefully, but it does work and if done right is safe.

I think I see a calcium reactor on the horizon....

FSOL
07/23/2006, 10:58 AM
I've considered the vinegar solution, but it's a bit more chemistry than I want to get into at this point.
Ca reactor is definitely on the horizon, but I've never used one before and don't know exactly how it works.
I'm definitely adding more than is evaporating, because my Mg concentration slowly goes down every day as well.