PDA

View Full Version : PH problems please help

derick75
07/22/2006, 04:39 PM
I am having a problem keeping my PH levels up. 8.04 during the day and 7.7 at night. I used marine buffer to try and raise the ph to 8.3 which is does, but quickly falls back to 8.0. My akalinity was 2.7 and after a week i was able to raise it to 3.6 steady. But my Ph has not raised. I started dripping kalk at night, i am on my 3rd night with not chganges in PH.

I use DI water for top off and makeup water

I let the kalk stand for 5 hours but i never see a "crust" on the top, just the chalky stuff on the bottom and my kent doser always clogs up on me. I try not to get the chalk mixed in but it is never clear not sure what i am doing wrong . I dose 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. I need to test my calcium but i lose the directions to my red sea test have to times by five or some dumb thing. will have to get another. so i am not sure where clacium lies at this time. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problems could be?

75 gallon reef 5 months old. nitrite 0 ammonia 0 nitrate 5ppm akalinity 3.6

bertoni
07/22/2006, 06:07 PM
Marine Buffer isn't recommended for reef tanks. It contains a lot of borate, which will displace carbonate for alkalinity if you're dosing by total alkalinity.

Buffers almost never work for pH problems, for the reason you state: aeration drops the pH back fairly quickly, and because alkalinity gets too high in a lot of cases.

I would do some large (25%) water changes to clear out the Marine Buffer. Then, this article describes an aeration test:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

How much lime per gallon is in the mix, and how much limewater is being dosed per day?
The aeration test will determine if high CO2 is the problem.

bertoni
07/22/2006, 06:08 PM
Oops, meant to add that the pH measurement device or kit might be off. That problem crops up fairly regularly, so getting a second opinion might be useful.

derick75
07/22/2006, 06:43 PM
just calibrated my probe it is dead on. like i said i add 1 teaspoon per gallon and does 1400ml a night i am on my 3rd night with no gain in PH. All windows in the house have been closed for 3 weeks straight and just the AC on due to heat wave, so i know that does not help, but PH has always been low.

bertoni
07/22/2006, 07:01 PM
Oops, sorry, should have read more carefully.

I would add that meters are sometimes influenced by electrical equipment, so measuring away from the tank, preferably on batteries, might be interesting.

Without a calcium result, I'm a bit worried about suggesting changes, but more lime in the mix might help. The alkalinity is okay. Are you adding any other alkalinity supplement now?

derick75
07/22/2006, 07:49 PM
no the buffer raised my alk from 2.7 to 3.8 so i am good there my calcium test just showed 450ppm but im sure they are not very accurate.

i mixed my kalk with distilled water let stand for 3 hours was completly clear but no crust on top.

i mix it with DI water and it does not mix well and cloges my doser go figure?

bertoni
07/22/2006, 08:02 PM
Kalk tends to leave some precipitate at the bottom of the container. Is that the issue? Strange that it should clog the doser. Is the problem evaporation at the output?