PDA

View Full Version : Copperband Butterfly with Sailfin Tang ?

long-time-dead
07/22/2006, 04:43 PM
Hi there

It's my first thread from this Scottish Reefer so please be gentle :)

I was in a local shop today talking about my new tank and future stocking plans. I have just commissioned my 1000 litre (7ft L x 2ft H x 30 D) and transferred my existing fish, one of which is an Indian Ocean Sailfin Tang.

The owner, on hearing this, said to me - "You'll be wanting to add a Copperband Butterfly in due course then....." This made me wonder.

I know that the CBB is a "difficult" fish to keep due to feeding issues. I also know that a drilled mussel filled with artemia is a great way of giving it an exclusive meal in a crowded tank.

What surprised me was his comment that the IOST and the CBB have a great relationship in the wild and the CBB seems to become protected by the IOST when they pair up - presumably this helps the CBB feed well.

Whilst I have been unable to prove this theory, I would be grateful if anyone has experience of these two fish together or, even better, has any links I could research.

I know for sure that he is not just trying to sell me a fish as he is just establishing his marine tanks (it's a new shop but he has over 30 years in the tradae) and he knows I will not buy anything unless I am 100% sure.

Over to you good people on Reef Central..........

thor32766
07/22/2006, 08:54 PM
well i have never once heard of this, maybe someone else has. I have a sailfin and CBB together and they dont act this way.