PDA

View Full Version : freshwater dip question

gflat65
07/22/2006, 08:10 PM
Okay, so all along, I've just been doing a 5 drops of Lugols to the frag bag before dropping in the tank and have been safe from zoa predators, so far (usually get frags, not colonies). Today, I picked up several colonies of PE's from a LFS and noticed what appeared to be some sort of spider or crab (more spider than crab, but had a pointed section between some of the legs (no comments from the peanut gallery;)). I know there are bad guys on these colonies, so I want to do the freshwater dip to have them all abandoning ship. To adjust pH, I have three newly purchased options. I will be using RODI water and know that cations are stripped in the DI process, so something has to be added back to get pH going. I have Proper pH 8.2 from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Seachem Reef Buffer, and Seachem Marine Buffer (in liquid form). Which of the three would be best for correcting the pH of my RODI water? I know I'm very likely over thinking this, but since they are all for salt water, do they add the ions back that need to be there to adjust the pH of RODI water? Likely a dumb question, but I'm killing myself in theory here... Would chemicals for adjusting feeding water for plants (pH Up and Down) be okay, or will they likely have some other chemical non-conducive to zoa happiness? TIA

jessiesgrrl
07/23/2006, 07:47 PM
I'd use the already liquid buffer, since you don't have to worry about crystals dissolving totally. I use Reef Success buffer in the same general way, and it performs fine.

:D
Laurie