PDA

View Full Version : Are you supposed to have clamer seas in you tank at night?

Salty Brother
07/22/2006, 09:19 PM
Just wondering, Ive heard this before. I have mag 7 return, seio 820 and a mj 1200, so the only thing i could really turn off would be the mj. Would this help? Are you supposed to have this?
Thanks,
Patrick

reeferman06
07/22/2006, 09:21 PM
Not realy, I have a couple of power heads, mj's and other brands that run 24/7!

Rysam
07/22/2006, 09:22 PM
i dont turn anything off except the lights

jjmg
07/22/2006, 09:31 PM
I've never found that the tides stop running in the Gulf because it gets dark out. I'd keep the flow going.

Gary Majchrzak
07/22/2006, 09:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7795051#post7795051 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjmg
I'd keep the flow going.
Especially since oxygen levels drop at night in an aquarium.

ScallopKing
07/22/2006, 11:20 PM
Mine run 24/7. I'd let them run too!

JGoslee
07/22/2006, 11:24 PM
I have my tunzes turned down to 50% at night. I use the photocell with my controller.

Salty Brother
07/23/2006, 08:23 AM
Ok, thanks. one more question, my clowns sleep right next to a mj. It has a guard on it, but at night could they get sutck to it?
Thanks

ADA33
07/23/2006, 08:40 AM
I also run the power heads at 50% at night
Doesn't the ocean have comer seas at night?
Really the only reason I do it is to let my Chromas hide easier at night

deansreef
07/23/2006, 09:46 AM
i keep my 2 streams running the same 24/7.

HotHotHot
07/23/2006, 09:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7796391#post7796391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Salty Brother
Ok, thanks. one more question, my clowns sleep right next to a mj. It has a guard on it, but at night could they get sutck to it?
Thanks

You have enough light to get them a host anemone.

It may take them a while to hook up, but it would be safer for them.

I don't think an MJ has enough sucksion to cause problems, but if they're really small it might.

Mine slept on the surface near 4 MJ1200s until they figured out the anemone was a better place.

Ed

highquality
07/23/2006, 10:04 AM
corals benefit from water motion especially at night. information from Aquarium Corals by Borneman.

starseed
07/23/2006, 12:20 PM
Well....

On all my night SCUBA dives, the ocean surge is 5 times stronger than in the day. Night dives are very very intense because of that and are much more tiring than a day dive.

The ocean always seems much stronger at night to me.

The three places I night dived are Hawaii, Philippines, and Monteray, CA (which if anyone can dive Monteray, you can dive anywhere - diving in Monteray makes Hawaii seem like a big swimming pool).

And a night dive in Monteray means getting tangeled in kelp and getting the crap scared out of you when a white seal starts stalking you - "Is that a ghost or was that a seal?!?!"

Salty Brother
07/23/2006, 02:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7796831#post7796831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HotHotHot
You have enough light to get them a host anemone.

It may take them a while to hook up, but it would be safer for them.

I don't think an MJ has enough sucksion to cause problems, but if they're really small it might.

Mine slept on the surface near 4 MJ1200s until they figured out the anemone was a better place.

Ed

Ok, thanks, I probably will try a bta some time in the near future, but Im still worried about it moving and killing all my corals, I was going to try it out on a rock on the left side of my tank, but there is a frogspawn and a torch that would be under it, and it would be right next to a seio, so if it wanted higher flow, it could move itself over a little.
How does that sound?

RobbyG
07/23/2006, 02:53 PM
Never dived at Night, but other friends who have say the exact opposite, they say the water was almost totaly still at night. I thought the Suns energy had a lot to do with driving the Ocean waves. Wonder if someone else can chime in on what is happening at night.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7797494#post7797494 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by starseed
Well....

On all my night SCUBA dives, the ocean surge is 5 times stronger than in the day. Night dives are very very intense because of that and are much more tiring than a day dive.

The ocean always seems much stronger at night to me.

The three places I night dived are Hawaii, Philippines, and Monteray, CA (which if anyone can dive Monteray, you can dive anywhere - diving in Monteray makes Hawaii seem like a big swimming pool).

And a night dive in Monteray means getting tangeled in kelp and getting the crap scared out of you when a white seal starts stalking you - "Is that a ghost or was that a seal?!?!"

starseed
07/23/2006, 03:09 PM
That's never been my experience.

I did a night manta ray dive once and most of the time I was just trying to stay still and not get "blown away"

Mishap
07/23/2006, 04:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7798246#post7798246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobbyG
Never dived at Night, but other friends who have say the exact opposite, they say the water was almost totaly still at night. I thought the Suns energy had a lot to do with driving the Ocean waves. Wonder if someone else can chime in on what is happening at night.

Waves are caused by wind moving across the surface of the water, or by earthquakes beneath the waters surface. To my knowledge the sun has nothing to do with it.

RobbyG
07/24/2006, 11:56 AM
We are both right, the wind does most of the driving but the Wind is mostly created by the Sun's heat driving the atmosphere.
BTW the great Ocean Conveyor also depends on the Suns heat to warm up the surface water in the Carribean and send it back towards europe.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7798816#post7798816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mishap
Waves are caused by wind moving across the surface of the water, or by earthquakes beneath the waters surface. To my knowledge the sun has nothing to do with it.

Crusty Old Shellback
07/24/2006, 12:07 PM
After 21 years of sailing around the world, the seas at night are usually calmer. There are some nights though that they are not.

I have 2 hammerhead pumps on my 400 tank. One a CL and one a return. I shut down the CL pump at night to give the fish some rest. A observation I have noticeed is if I turn off the CL during the day for maintance, the fish will go to their sleeping spots as they think it's night time and they should be going to sleep. Once I turn the pump back on, they start to swim around the tank again.

As far as slowing down the water flow and oxygen, do not turn down a sump return flow, only a CL. The majority of yoru oxygen addition to the water will come from your sump/skimmer flow so you don't want to cut back on that.

starseed
07/24/2006, 02:17 PM
Oh... I agree that the surface waters are much much calmer at night.

But the ocean surge along the bottom (where our corals live) has always been 2-3 times stronger at night IMHO and experience.

I'm talking about the underwater surge - during the day, it's between 2-4 feet back and forth during the day in Hawaii - max. At night, it surges between 6-8 feet back and forth, sometimes more.

That surge is what makes night diving such hard work - one has to "fight" the surge that is forcing the diver to get tossed 8 feet back and forth - very very hard to stay in one spot.

I've never had that problem during a day dive - only night dives - and it's a big difference.

Crusty Old Shellback
07/24/2006, 02:34 PM
Interesting. One would think that with that big of a surge, you would see an increase in surface movement. Yet when I go to the beach at night, the waves seem to be smaller than during the day which would lead one to beleive that the undercurrent was less.

Or are you just diving on nights when the tide is coming in or goin out or there is a storm looming that's causing the extra high surge?.