PDA

View Full Version : Strange dark stuff on underside of Cap?

Aaron
07/22/2006, 09:30 PM
For a long time now (over a year) my Cap has had what looks like algae growing on the underside of the plates. it seems to be growing faster now and nearly covering all of the underside... even of my newer frag too that is from a different colony/tank.

it does not seem to be harming the caps as they are growing rapidly and the polyps on the topside are open and happy.

I have tried scraping/brushing off the 'dark stuff' but nothing comes off.

I the caps have direct powerhead flow (on the underside too) and that seems to make no difference.

I wish I could take a pic but no digicam at the moment.

Anyone seen this of know what it is?

also... Just wondering by it seems that the lower 'shelves' of the cap seem to die off once the upper shelves block the direct light. I have a 29 with 140w of 10k MH and 48w of AquaBlue T5s so the entire tank is well lit.

thanks for the input!

fishboyy
07/23/2006, 07:53 AM
my 3 caps all have dark brown algea like stuff o the bottom its brown corraline, all mine have there polyps out and look good.:confused:

Aaron
08/20/2006, 01:19 PM
no one knows?

tuberider
08/20/2006, 06:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7795044#post7795044 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aaron
For a long time now (over a year) my Cap has had what looks like algae growing on the underside of the plates. it seems to be growing faster now and nearly covering all of the underside... even of my newer frag too that is from a different colony/tank.

it does not seem to be harming the caps as they are growing rapidly and the polyps on the topside are open and happy.

I have tried scraping/brushing off the 'dark stuff' but nothing comes off.

I the caps have direct powerhead flow (on the underside too) and that seems to make no difference.

I wish I could take a pic but no digicam at the moment.

Anyone seen this of know what it is?

also... Just wondering by it seems that the lower 'shelves' of the cap seem to die off once the upper shelves block the direct light. I have a 29 with 140w of 10k MH and 48w of AquaBlue T5s so the entire tank is well lit.

thanks for the input!

I think you answered all of your questions in your post. :smokin:

Aaron
08/20/2006, 06:10 PM
not really...

I'm wondering if this is common?
The lower shelves seem to die off?

what causes it?

tuberider
08/21/2006, 10:39 AM
No really.....

Like most corals, caps need light to grow, if the lower shelves are not receiving light they will cease thier growth, and promote growth in other areas that are receiving optimal conditions (light/flow etc.). As far as your dark stuff, it's hard to identify with your description, how about what color? is it furry? is it slimy? is it a green slimer in disguise :bum:

Infinitereef
08/21/2006, 03:01 PM
I have the same thing. Interested to find out why too.

Aaron
08/28/2006, 12:53 AM
it is not furry or slimy... it definitely grows from the center (bottom/middle) of the shelf outward towards the edge... and grows slower then the shelf itself.

gemxsps
08/28/2006, 05:51 AM
Definitely needs pic. Isn't it black sponge??

miwoodar
09/05/2006, 12:52 PM
Many people frag out their monti-caps down to the nub when the center starts to die. Mine has only died where it does not get direct light due to overtopping by the higher layers. The underside of the shaded portions have died as well. I am sad to say that I will be dismantling mine in the coming months. I'm glad it is such a fast grower though - it won't be long before I will have to do it again.