PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles, bubbles, aghhhh not microbubbles!

doin' fin
07/23/2006, 12:46 PM
How bad are they and how do I get rid of them?! Have heard mixed reviews. I have a wet-dry with a skimmer in the sump. Inside the tank I have 2 Maxi Jet 600s and a 1200.

My 90 gal has been cycling for about 4 weeks with 90lbs of live rock. Tests were great and so I just added 5 snails, 10 hermies, a lawnmower and pajama fish two days ago. So far so good! Keep us in your prayers!
:)

sir_dudeguy
07/23/2006, 12:52 PM
imo they're not bad for your fish/corals..i have lots of them from my remora skimmer, but everything looks great still...but i do think they're bad for pumps and stuff..

wait..are they microbubbles or not microbubbles?

if its just microbubbles they're fine, but i know you're not sposed to put like, airstones to bubble in your tank..

doin' fin
07/23/2006, 01:13 PM
I think they are microbubbles from my skimmer- no airstones, sunken treasures, or spanish fleet vessels in the tank! Husband put the smack down on those ideas! ;>

whiteshark
07/23/2006, 01:52 PM
They are not dangerous, just kinda ugly IMO.If you don't mind em, you could leave em.

doin' fin
07/23/2006, 02:01 PM
Any advice on how to get rid of them? I heard you could put a sponge in your sump and that would help; however, I am not sure that I understood correctly...

whiteshark
07/23/2006, 02:33 PM
Check this out. Scroll down to the bubble trap part. Maybe it will help.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

Here is a pic of a sump with a bubble trap

http://www.melevsreef.com/55g/55g_sump.html

sir_dudeguy
07/23/2006, 02:37 PM
well it kinda depends on where they're coming from...like mine come from my remora skimmer..as soon as i get some of those filter pads, i'm just gonna cut one to size and fit it on the return part of the skimmer...i've heard that doing this can help but i dont know where yours are coming from, so it may be useless :)

doin' fin
07/23/2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the links! The bubbles are definitely from the skimmer output water flowing onto the return pump. One idea we are working on is feeding the output directly into the pump. I have a SeaLife 150 (skimmer) and an AMircle Wetdry. The sump on the wetdry is kinda small probably 10 gal. The Sealife fit in the sump and was within budget so...

As a sidebar- We are ne w to the hobby and are realizing just how much trouble you can get into fast! Patience is becoming a big virtue. We are working with what we have until we can afford to do seperate "staged" sump, UV and skimmer stations. We are saving up to spend more. Guess you gotta start somewhere though. :)

sir_dudeguy
07/23/2006, 03:54 PM
i wouldnt put the return pump on the skimmer...skimmer outlets are WAY slower than the input on them...my remora has a mj1200 on it i think...NO WAY does the skimmer put out the 230gph or whatever the pump is...not supposed to, but just so you know, it wouldnt be putting out enough to fill your tank up...

doin' fin
07/23/2006, 07:36 PM
We did some rearranging in the sump and that has helped a lot. Also one of the mj600s was creating some of the micro bubbles. Thank you for all of the help! Good luck with the decision on the lawnmower blenny. Ours is making a huge difference already!