PDA

View Full Version : Power out last night in North East, MD

1SickReefer
07/23/2006, 05:22 PM
I had a power outage yesterday from thunderstorms here in NE Maryland. It lasted 6 hours, I have a 1000w 2-stroke generator that I used to power the following:

1 mag 12 return pump (110w)
1 aquabee NW from skimmer (20w)
2x6000 tunze and the controller 15wx2 = 30w
1 250w heater
1 ACIII with 2 DC8's (?w)
1 CF spiral fuge light (18w)
1 set of LED moonlights

About 500w total. This was night time so no tank light was needed, but if it was daytime it would also run my 2x96w antincs. I fired them up just to see if they would.

Amazingly enough, this was my first substantial power outage in 2 years. I was very impressed with this little guy, here is a link. For $189.00 you can not beat the protection. I don't know about this company it's just a website I found that had a pic.

http://www.bargainjims.com/Images/Products/ProductAd.ASP?ItemCode=gen1000&cat=Camping&subcat=

I could not get my 2 Seio 820's to start on the generator, they just made an awful chattering sound, luckily the Tunze ran perfect. Anyone know why the Seio's would not start?

Thanks,
1SR

goda
07/23/2006, 06:04 PM
sios are picky to begin with.. odds are the pump wasnt putting out a true sine wave so they wouldent start

JGoslee
07/23/2006, 06:10 PM
My power was out also from the storms. Good to know that genny works. Good info

1SickReefer
07/23/2006, 07:11 PM
It not only worked, it exceeded my expectations! It was solid as a rock for 6 straight hours, I had to topoff the gas at like 5 hours. Very pleased to say the least.

In a way it really helped me get prepared for even longer outages. I now have a spare power strip sitting behind the tank that is dedicated to the generator, and a clear action plan. Also the 25ft extension cord will never leave this generator again :D it will stay nicely coiled on top to the generator.

I just hope I did not bother my neighbors too much :) after all it was 1 am before the electric came back on.

I was tempted to run my little 13" TV from the kids room and my Directtv receiver lol....but I did'nt want to push it.

Regards,
1SR

1SickReefer
07/23/2006, 08:01 PM
I have been surfing around looking at different power options. I have looked at a whole propane powered 7kw units for 2 grand.. to portable 8000w generators and finally 5000w inverters for auto's, what are ppl's opinions of the inverters.

Would I just leave my truck idling in the driveway? and run extension cords from the truck to the house? How would this effect my truck sitting there idling for hours upon hours? Would this shorten the life of the alternator, truck battery, or anything else on the truck?

Lota questions, I know.. :) just sitting here thinking.

Pat_13
07/24/2006, 08:11 AM
I have a gen too and it works great. I can run my tanks, TV, & Dish. I just sit in the dark and watch them all. Oh yea, and the microwave, but I turn of the TV for that :) To baffle the noise I put mine in the garage, run the cord under the inside door and open the garage door 1/4 way.