PDA

View Full Version : Bought myself a chiller....not sure how to work it (Please Help)

david82
07/23/2006, 06:24 PM
Hi,

After weeks of fighting rising temparatures in my saltwater tank today I purchased a Prime 1/15th HP Chiller for my 40 gallon tank.

The instructions that came with this box is not very good, so I am having problems getting it to work.

I have two hoses connected to the tank. Although I am new to this as I've only had my tank for about 4 months, isn't the water in my tank suppose to come into the chiller from one of the tubes that connects to it and then the chiller pumps it back out with the other hose?

Is anyone familiar with the Prime 1/15th Chiller because I am not sure which tube will take in the water and shoot out the water. The instructions does point out which hole will take in water.

Also would I need a water pump that can pump water through the tube so that water gets into chiller and the chiller will push it out itself? I got myself an extra pump that can pump the water out.

I was wondering can someone please help me in getting my chiller to work?

THank you very much.

wuelfman
07/23/2006, 06:37 PM
most chillers that i know of that are not drop in need a pump to be able to move the water through the chiller. there is no pump in the chiller.
i know of few people that use there return pump and plumb it to the chiller before it gets back to the tank

nts9
07/23/2006, 06:49 PM
they have different size hose in/out

http://www.current-usa.com/primechillermini.html

david82
07/23/2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the responses.

So are the 1/2" the input and the 5/8" the output?

Also as for water getting into the chiller then would a pump be fine then?

Thanks again

PJSEA
07/23/2006, 09:10 PM
You need a pump that will put up to 600 gph thru your chiller. Do you have any external pumps operating on your tank?

If not this is a simple explanation of what you will need:
You will have to put in an overflow to feed your pump and then the pump would go to the inlet of your chiller. The outlet hose from the chiller returns the water to your tank.

I am using a canister filter to pump water thru a 1/4 HP chiller back to my 20 gal. tank. It doesn't put out the minimum flow needed for the chiller but this is not the tank the chiller was bought for.

david82
07/23/2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the advice. I actually ended just doing that, I had an pump where it is now pumpling water into a tube that is connected to the chiller and the chiller pumps the water through another tube.

Thanks again for the response, now I know I did it right. I wasn't sure it was right or not. The instructions that came with the chiller never mentioned that except for having two tubes for water to come in and out.