PDA

View Full Version : Chitons

Gluestick
07/23/2006, 09:00 PM
Are chitons good or bad for your tank, generally? Are they reef safe?

Putawaywet
07/23/2006, 09:04 PM
The ones I am most familar with are algae grazers. Relatively benign. One consideration if you have an acrylic tank you might want to watch that they don't get onto the viewing window as there's a possibility they can etch the acrylic.

Brett

ACBlinky
07/23/2006, 09:39 PM
I have two in my 65g, one around 2" long and another just 1/2" or so. The large one can eat a phenomenal amount of coralline; he can clear a 5"x5" patch of glass in a night when he feels so inclined. Other nights he just samples, leaving little trails in the coralline. I've never seen mine anywhere but the rockwork or the back wall; he seems to stick to the areas with the most available food :).

Gluestick
07/24/2006, 04:21 PM
Do they eat other algae besides coralline? And btw, is coralline pronounced coral- line or coral-lynn (like the name lynn)

jus10kase
07/24/2006, 05:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7805341#post7805341 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gluestick
Do they eat other algae besides coralline? And btw, is coralline pronounced coral- line or coral-lynn (like the name lynn)

It might be coral-lean.

kass03
07/24/2006, 05:56 PM
Hmm not sure on the coraline I always say coral lynn lol.

It's like halide I say hal eyed some say hail eyed.

Potato, tomato lol

Sorry don't have chitons so can't help ya.

kass

ACBlinky
07/24/2006, 06:05 PM
Mine have pink/purple colouration (presumably for camouflage) and seem to eat only coralline, but there are all sorts of different types of chiton and it's possible their diets vary -- I'd Google them and do a little research.
I pronounce coralline coral-line, but I'm not sure if that's correct -- I've also heard it pronounced coral-lean and coral-lynne.

sarduci
07/24/2006, 08:18 PM
Dictionary.com -
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/coralline
Some of the superscript refuses to copy and paste.....

Oh, and they have an audio thing too....

cor·al·line Pronunciation Key (kôr-ln, -ln, kr-)
n.

1. Any of various red algae of the family Corallinaceae whose fronds are covered with calcareous deposits.
2. Any of various organisms that resemble coral, such as certain bryozoans or hydrozoans.

Putawaywet
07/25/2006, 05:39 AM
Come to think of it mine actually have coralline growing on their backsides. Perhaps it's their way of packing a lunch. You know, in case food gets scare :)

Brett

Gluestick
07/25/2006, 07:48 PM
lol awesome. I will google chiton. In the mean time, if anyone or anyone you know wants their out of their tank, let me know!