PDA

View Full Version : What are these?? help.

R33f
07/24/2006, 12:03 AM
Water changes seem not to help and its getting worst by the days. Did siphon them out and they keep coming back the next couple hours. I have try to search to indentify what they are and come up with dinoflagellates? so I left the light out for 3 days already and come up with no resolution. Any idea on how to get rid of them?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/R33f/CIMG1447.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/R33f/CIMG1446.jpg

reefnetworth
07/24/2006, 12:08 AM
WOW!!! that is a trip man! looks like charlots web. i dont know how to get rid of them, i dont even know what that is. WOW!!! and i thought i had seen almost everyrthing go wrong in the reef. (experience, taught) when you find out PM me im courious. thanx & REEF-ON!!!

damienkee
07/24/2006, 12:28 AM
IMO, is better to remove all your sps frag to safety tank b4 they all die off.
an the slimey looks scary....

Rogger Castells
07/24/2006, 12:53 AM
Forget the frags, you run out of the house!

marine_freak
07/24/2006, 05:45 AM
I think it could be dinos..... I had them but mine looked more brown than that, but same problem.... water changes 2-3x weekly, lights out, for 3 days, reduce your lighting to 2-3 hours a day. Siphon off as much as you can.... I must say that is the worst case of dinos I have ever seen...... If no luck you may be forced to break down your reef and cook your rock..... I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Kip
07/24/2006, 06:39 AM
bacteria bloom

LFS_worker
07/24/2006, 07:33 AM
looks like an air irritation to the corals.

shedding a slime after a water change or microbubbles that are irritating the corals..

instead of using a siphon ... turkey baste it away gently.. see if it comes back.

B

cfishrun
07/24/2006, 08:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7801870#post7801870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kip
bacteria bloom

I second that. Looks like a bad case of biofilm. Do you ever shut your return pump off? I had my ACII automatically shut down one of my return pumps when the temp got too high, and when it kicked back on, it would dislodge biofilm that was sitting in the stagnant pipes.

R33f
07/24/2006, 12:13 PM
Bacteria bloom...eh? Yes, I do shut off my pump everytime I do w/c.

It is not the frags that is sliming.

Thanks for the support guys, If I can't get this under control I might really have to shut it down. Tank been set up for 18 months but had a skimmer overflow crash like 4 months ago. The things is I don't have a quarantine tank so I don't know what to do with the frags.

Just for kick, morning pics of it without siphon it out last night.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/R33f/CIMG1450.jpg

cfishrun
07/24/2006, 02:57 PM
That happens every morning?!? How often are you doing WCs? Is it coming out of your return pipe(s)? If you can't tell, turn the pump off for a few minutes then turn it back on, or if you have it dialed back, open it up 100%.

Testhead1313
07/24/2006, 04:52 PM
Find someone around you with a microscope. That's the only way to tell exactly what it is. Good luck :eek2:

Kip
07/24/2006, 05:44 PM
there is some kinda overabundant carbonic food source.... recently disrupted substrate? prepared food addition? mass die-off of something?.....

i saw similar to this when i had to add vinegar to my tank to counter a kalk mishap

keep trying to net it out/manually remove it... it should subside on its own whenever its food source becomes limited.

Serioussnaps
07/24/2006, 06:16 PM
Your corals really dont look happy......you should start manually removing now...ASAP

trueblackpercula
07/24/2006, 06:27 PM
first off how old is the tank? give some more info on the reading so we can help. ph nitrate nitrite salinty etc. It looks like nutrients are you using RO water? the list is endless.
Michael

R33f
07/24/2006, 07:44 PM
Testhead1313 - How would you id it under a microscope?

cfishrun - When they first appear like 2 wks ago, I did a 30% w/c then tried to do so read up and with dino. It been said that it might fuel up more nutrient so I have been manually sipon them up with a turkey baster and fill with what I take out.

Kip - Tank is BB and have been feeding it as usual and very lightly. Only 1 fish as you can see him. I really hopes they will subside over time before they kill all my frags. I'm manually siphoning them out but they can come back to full blown the next day. Keeping my finger cross as I might lose hope when everything die.
Did you keep you light out when you encounter something similar?

Serioussnaps - Yes, as you can see my orange monti is dead and it look like my blue moon danae is following it too. Everything is browned out and the leng sy cap is not even green no more.

trueblackpercula - Ph is low like in the high 7's, nitrate hoover around 10ppm. the rest is undetectable. 1.025 salinity. Come to think of it I did change like 30% w/c with regualar tap water like a month ago. That result in the green hair algae bloom. What happen when a tank is full of silcate? hmm...

NewSchool04
07/24/2006, 08:22 PM
figure out what it is later, save the frags now. Your acros are not going to put up with that and you'll lose them all.

G-money
07/24/2006, 10:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7801387#post7801387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rogger Castells
Forget the frags, you run out of the house!

:lol:

trueblackpercula
07/25/2006, 06:28 PM
I would invest in a R/O DI unit fast if you are going to get into the reef game.
Michael