PDA

View Full Version : regrets..?

brandon0350
07/24/2006, 01:46 AM
im getting married next may (this IS NOT my regret). do you think i will regret leaving the hobby and saving all the money(tank break down, water changes, additives and all the other stuff) for future needs? am i crazy?

wilsonh
07/24/2006, 04:05 AM
I sold up when I got married and considering the first few years of financial hardships it was probably as well that I did.
Never really got it out of my system though. We came across, by chance, a real nice tank at a boat show we went to, which stirred old memories, so 15 years after getting married I started one up again.
It IS an expensive hobby so if money looks likely to be an issue during those first few years of marriage it may pay to put things on hold for a time.
But once a reefer, always a reefer. :lol:

wav3form
07/24/2006, 04:53 AM
You can always run a nano tank. I'm short on money so I set up a 10 gal. You don't need near as much equipment and can get by with relatively little money in comparison to the larger setups. I've been married 4 years now and you're always going to be dishing out money for something so get used to it.

skeeter-doc
07/24/2006, 02:30 PM
yes go smaller and get wiser, then later, you can set up a bigger tank when you are ready

650-IS350
07/25/2006, 02:15 PM
I second that.... married too... first few years are the trying years..
Don't want to give the wifee' more ammo to bark at you about...

Go with a nano or even a pico tank if money is going to be that tight.

affan
07/25/2006, 02:25 PM
Go ahead, and get married. Just remember: It pays to go out with a chick that works at an LFS. :smokin:

brandon0350
07/25/2006, 02:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7811450#post7811450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by affan
Go ahead, and get married. Just remember: It pays to go out with a chick that works at an LFS. :smokin:

that would be nice. but my fiance is a manager at victorias secret so i guess that will have to do :D

skeeter-doc
07/25/2006, 02:40 PM
i think he's got u there affan, ...

RedNeck
07/25/2006, 02:57 PM
Gotta love the discount at Victoria Secrets... My wife didn't work there before we were married, but she did a while later. I would say it was one of the best jobs she has had.

At least for me!!!

Dave

just dave
07/25/2006, 02:59 PM
You might regret it ,many do, but no one seems to regret getting rid of their wife and getting and aquarium.:D

brandon0350
07/25/2006, 03:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7811735#post7811735 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by just dave
You might regret it ,many do, but no one seems to regret getting rid of their wife and getting and aquarium.:D

lol

IanInDC
07/25/2006, 03:05 PM
Question: why does everyone seem to think marriage is MORE expensive than being single? You save money on rent, food, you get a *huge* tax break if you file together, you can sell off common items, usually get better benefits, etc...

I can't *wait* til me and my girlfriend get married (ok, you NEVER heard me say that!!!) But seriously, I don't get it... unless you're talking about KIDS... but that's a different story entirely

MacnReef
07/25/2006, 03:18 PM
Get married, the benefits far exceed the negatives. My wife loves tanks, sure she has no idea how much I spend on them but hey, thats what separate checking accounts are for...lol

Mike

*might want to try and post things like this in the lobby;)

Kellie in CA
07/25/2006, 03:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7811773#post7811773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IanInDC
Question: why does everyone seem to think marriage is MORE expensive than being single? You save money on rent, food, you get a *huge* tax break if you file together, you can sell off common items, usually get better benefits, etc...

I can't *wait* til me and my girlfriend get married (ok, you NEVER heard me say that!!!) But seriously, I don't get it... unless you're talking about KIDS... but that's a different story entirely

For me, it is definitely more expensive to be married. When I was single, I could do whatever I wanted with my money and budget for the things that I wanted. I would give up things I didn't care about to pay for things that I did. Now that I am married, I have my husband to consider and I can't just tell him "Honey, we will be eating Ramen noodles all month so I can afford new aquarium lighting".

As for the tax break........what tax break? We get less of a return filing together than we did filing seperately.

Hmmmm......I can't think of a single thing that has gotten cheaper since we got married. What a bummer.

gman0526
07/25/2006, 03:39 PM
He meant The Lounge, and guess what he's right.

JmLee
07/25/2006, 04:31 PM
you will be back.