PDA

View Full Version : Small shock from my aquarium

antony1103
07/24/2006, 12:01 PM
I had my hand in my aquarium the other day and i got a small shock from the water. It was very small, and it only shocked my through a cut on my hand. I found it was from the main return pump from my sump. Should i be worried about this and what should i do?

goreefer
07/24/2006, 12:05 PM
Voltage leakage is ALWAYS a concern. Do you use a grounding probe? Is your tank on a GFCI outlet?

antony1103
07/24/2006, 12:08 PM
All the equipment is on GFIC outlets, but no i don't have a grounding probe. I am now thinking of getting one but it won't be here untill next week (my LFS doesn't carry any).

Crusty Old Shellback
07/24/2006, 12:10 PM
Sounds like you have a pump going bad. A proper operating pump should not cause a shock to you when your hands are in the water.

antony1103
07/24/2006, 12:11 PM
So should i replace the pump or can it be fixed.
The pump is a Quiet One 4000.

goreefer
07/24/2006, 12:15 PM
Try to isolate the voltage leak. It could be the pump, heater, or your lights.
Do you have 'drip loops' on all of the wires?
Using a volt meter can help you isolate to problem piece.

antony1103
07/24/2006, 12:19 PM
I already know it is the pump. I used a voltage meter and turned everything on one at a time. All the wires touch teh ground before going back up to the outlet no water can make it to the outlet. I found the problem i just need a solution. Should i replace the pump now or would a grounding probe work for a few months untill i replace the pump(i was planning on it around december).

goreefer
07/24/2006, 12:26 PM
If the pump is leaking voltage do not play with it. It will most likely only get worse. Get it fixed!
To ground probe will not solve the problem, it only protects you.

antony1103
07/24/2006, 12:27 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully it will be safe for the next week. I'll order a new pump and a probe tonight.

Crusty Old Shellback
07/24/2006, 12:28 PM
Probably better off to replace the pump before it fries and crashes your tank, or burns up and set's your house on fire.

A grounding prope is nothing more than putting a temporary bandaid on a major hole hoping it goes away. You've got to fix it right. Also the stray voltage may affect your fish in the long run as they use small electrical impulses to find their way around.

mr pink floyd
07/24/2006, 12:32 PM
i get that cometimes, it was my MJ mod 400, but i only feel it if i haev a cut...

bureau13
07/24/2006, 12:48 PM
No properly functioning equipment should cause a shock when you put your hand in the water, cut or no cut. If you feel that, you have a situation which could easily get much worse. Forget about the ground probe, fix the real problem. Also, make sure you're connected through GFCIs.

I'm a hypocrite...my GFCI is still in the box. Note to self: Set that sucker up!

jds