PDA

View Full Version : Biomedia

UH_OH_5_OH
07/24/2006, 05:28 PM
So I take a brand new Magnum 350 insert....put old Fluval ceramic media into it....(Old meaning it was in my fluval cannister from my previous tank)...pop on the lid and then I zip tie it closed and placed it into the first chamber of my sump. The first chamber is where my water flows in from my HOB overflow box.

My intent is to get some bacteria growing in there for my sick tank which has no fish in it just yet. I am going to use my Magnum 350 as my filtration for my 20 H sick tank.

Thoughts.....Opinions....Recommendations....!

bertoni
07/24/2006, 05:31 PM
That idea should work pretty well. It's a fairly common approach, although sponge filters are probably more common.

jdieck
07/24/2006, 05:37 PM
I keep the isert of my Eheim canister filter (Foam and ceramic media) in my sump, when I need the Q tank I just fill it with water from the main during a water change, fit the cartridge in the canister, turn on the HOB skimmer and it is ready to go.

UH_OH_5_OH
07/25/2006, 06:59 AM
But will the bacteria be established in time for me to use it as a QT tank ? ? ?

UH_OH_5_OH
07/25/2006, 07:05 AM
But will the bacteria be established in time for me to use it as a QT tank ? ? ?

jdieck
07/25/2006, 07:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7808559#post7808559 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by UH_OH_5_OH

It will take about two to three weeks for it to get established if the media is new. Note that once in the Q tank certain medications may afect that bacteria or contaminate it so a second "Pack" in the sump for swapping will be a good idea.
Also note that medications containing copper to treat fish in the Q tank may render the media unusable in your main tank.

UH_OH_5_OH
07/25/2006, 09:28 AM
WOW Yeah that makes perfect sense...! Thanks for the reminder.

I thought Nirtrobacter took four weeks to establish...?