PDA

View Full Version : I have ATO but how would I add kalk?

bklynmet
07/24/2006, 07:17 PM
OK. I have an ATO setup with a peristaltic (sp?) pump and it pumps water for 1 minute every 12 minutes (matches evap rate) from a 5 gal bucket in the next room. I want to start adding kalk to the top-off. What's the best way of going about doing it?

Do I mix it directly in the bucket that pumps the top-off water to the tank and have the rigid hose for the pump up about 4 inches from bottom of bucket? I can get a 50 gal container and use that instead of the 5 gal bucket if it'll help (I just use a small reservoir to minimize risk of too much water being pumped into the tank in case both controller and float switch fails.) If doing this option, would I need to clean up the precipitate?

Do I premix in separate container and top off the top-off bucket?

I am open to suggestions and the less labor involved - the happier my boss will be in the morning as I won't be late for work:)

bertoni
07/24/2006, 07:58 PM
I just mix the kalk in 5g jugs and stick the hose it so that the input is about an inch off the bottom.

You'll also need to be sure that the tubing for the peristaltic pump is good for limewater. Some would probably disintegrate fairly rapidly.

PatMayo
07/24/2006, 11:04 PM
I mix mine in a 44 galon brute container, let it settle for a couple of days and then I load up a 5 gallon bucket to pump into my tank 24/7. I have 2 5 gallon buckets and I use almost 10 gallons every 7 days or so. I still have to supplement with Randys 2 part to keep things where I want them. Lots of coralline so the usage is quite high.

Regards,

Pat

bklynmet
07/25/2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks bertoni and patmayo...

i estimate I'll be going through about 13 gals a week based on current replacement of water into bucket. i've got 20 feet of polyethylene (not the clear byt the more rigid opaque type) - is this ok for getting calc from bucket to tank and not melting on me?? i also have santoprene in the p. pump...

bertoni
07/25/2006, 10:41 PM
The santoprene should be fine. I think the polyethylene will be okay, but I use plain air tubing for aquariums.